Problems trying to install linux

Reaction score
Ok i have a G4 powerbook 400Mhz. When i try to boot from the cd it does nothing.(yes i know the cd is working)so i tryed to go into open firmware and boot cd. It gives me an error message "boot cd method <load> not found; ihandle=0 phandle=0 load-size=0 adler32=1 LOAD-SIZE is too small" I know the drive is not broken because it can boot the os 10.4 dvd just fine. i have tryed zapping the pram and the nvram and even the power mangement thing. If anyone has any ideas id be glad to hear. This is my first mac and i just got it today from a friend for free. It did have 9.1 on it then it had kubuntu linux now it has nothing but a half finished Fedora core linux install on it. Could the fact that the install for fedora only ended up going halfway have anything to do with it?

Reaction score
Ok i have a G4 powerbook 400Mhz. When i try to boot from the cd it does nothing.(yes i know the cd is working)so i tryed to go into open firmware and boot cd. It gives me an error message "boot cd method <load> not found; ihandle=0 phandle=0 load-size=0 adler32=1 LOAD-SIZE is too small" I know the drive is not broken because it can boot the os 10.4 dvd just fine. i have tryed zapping the pram and the nvram and even the power mangement thing. If anyone has any ideas id be glad to hear. This is my first mac and i just got it today from a friend for free. It did have 9.1 on it then it had kubuntu linux now it has nothing but a half finished Fedora core linux install on it. Could the fact that the install for fedora only ended up going halfway have anything to do with it?

Not exactly sure what you mean by it being only half installed, but if you mean installation was stopped half-way thru that would definitely have something to do with it. I did not realize Fedora could be installed on a Mac.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yah,

I meant that it was stopped halfway through because the power got unplugged. But you can get ppc versions of fedora 4,5 and 6. You may be able to get lower as well. never checked it out.

Does anybody else have any thought on this?

Reaction score
I meant that it was stopped halfway through because the power got unplugged. But you can get ppc versions of fedora 4,5 and 6. You may be able to get lower as well. never checked it out.

Does anybody else have any thought on this?

If it was stopped halfway thru then it never got installed. The boot loader is one of the last things done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.