Emagic EMI 2|6 + Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2xQuadCore Intel Xeon, 2.26ghz, 12GB mem
I just upgraded my PowerMac G5 tower to OS X Snow Leopard (10.6), and with that upgrade my Emagic EMI 2|6 USB audio device stopped working.

The first thing I did was to find the Apple Emagic legacy FTP and download and install the drivers again, but I get this error:

"/Library/StartupItems/EmagicA26A62mFirmwareLoader” has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.​

I suspect it has to do with Snow Leopard's requirement of universal-binary -- the EMI 2|6 software hasn't been updated in ages. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, and does anyone know of a solution? I tried changing the access priveleges on the files, but that didn't work. (access privileges are not the same as security settings)

Also can anyone recommend a good affordable alternative solution? Items like the MOTU828 or products from RME seem pretty expensive by comparison.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A universal binary is a descriptor for an app having the code required to run on both a PPC and an Intel cpu.

Snow Leopard does not require a universal binary as it is coded for Intel only (at least the retail version just released a week ago) and will not run on a PPC which is inside all G5s.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2xQuadCore Intel Xeon, 2.26ghz, 12GB mem
Snow Leopard does not require a universal binary as it is coded for Intel only (at least the retail version just released a week ago) and will not run on a PPC which is inside all G5s.

Actually I misspoke (er, typed) -- I am running a new Mac Pro which is Intel powered. I guess what I was trying to say (and obviously got it all wrong) is that the way Snow Leopard is configured, it no longer will accept the firmware for the 2|6 due to "security settings", and I'm not sure if there is any workaround to this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro OS X 10.6, 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB
I have the exact same problem, i'm on an intel based mac, just upgraded from tiger to leopard, and reinstalled the emagic driver, to have this security alert appear every time i log in, and the same alert for the .DS_Store of the "/Library/StartupItems/".

I can't find a work around at the moment, so if anybody has a solution it would be appreciated a lot. If i figure it out in the meantime, i'll post it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've found that i can still use the a6|2m but cannot get the alerts to disapear.

trust409: If you've had any trouble accessing the control pannel for the emagic, i suggest downloading SoundflowerBed, its a virtual soundcard, which allows you to set some of the settings for the device, e.g. individual input volumes, and routing different devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, update, it no longer works with my mac. Just decided to stop being recognised by the system when i plug it in.

Reaction score
I have the same problem but I can always get the a2/6 to be recognized if I manually run the firmware from the folder (by double clicking it), then it all works fine, shame about the pesky 'security settings' warnings though.

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a copy of the driver for this? It no longer appears to be on Apple's site.

Thanks.

Reaction score
receiving an error message upon install

I followed Nicko's link--thanks, btw :)--but for some reason I'm receiving an error message upon install on my current Macintosh software: 10.7.2. It reads:

"Insecure Startup Item disabled.
“/Library/StartupItems/EmagicA26A62mFirmwareLoader” has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings."

So . . . it's feeling very insecure. :Smirk: Could someone help out please?

N

naumist

EMI 6/2 and snow leopard

I followed Nicko's link--thanks, btw :)--but for some reason I'm receiving an error message upon install on my current Macintosh software: 10.7.2. It reads:

"Insecure Startup Item disabled.
“/Library/StartupItems/EmagicA26A62mFirmwareLoader” has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings."

So . . . it's feeling very insecure. :Smirk: Could someone help out please?

Hi,

I had the same problem with the imac 2009 where snow leopard was installed from the beginning. Could not find a solution.

BUT: when i updated my intel based Macbook (2006) from tiger to snow leopard (I bought a retail version on DVD), the diver still work after updating. Important is, NOT TO delete the old system but to "overinstall" the new one with keeping all the old data. I still do not get any system messages or something like that and the drivers work.

Shame on Apple for the way they chose since 2009! Snow leopard was really an Improvement, but Lion an M. Lion offer only new features the make the system more and more a big game center with Face Book implementation and stuff like that. I was really an Apple Fan but now I hope that Microsoft will soon develop a good system that I can change back....

Reaction score
I can not record simultaneously from all 3 channels the signal comes in on all three but only the first one shows in the A6/2M sound panel can't even use #2 or #3 separately only #1 comes through is it a broken unit or a Mac/OS 10.6 problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I can not record simultaneously from all 3 channels the signal comes in on all three but only the first one shows in the A6/2M sound panel can't even use #2 or #3 separately only #1 comes through is it a broken unit or a Mac/OS 10.6 problem?
Welcome to the forum. You posted into a 10 year old thread, most of the folks have moved on. It would have been better to just start a new thread and start from scratch. I seriously doubt any of the folks on that thread are here anymore. Maybe a MOD will move your post to a new thread for you so you get better visibility.

Reaction score
I just upgraded my PowerMac G5 tower to OS X Snow Leopard (10.6), and with that upgrade my Emagic EMI 2|6 USB audio device stopped working.

The first thing I did was to find the Apple Emagic legacy FTP and download and install the drivers again, but I get this error:

"/Library/StartupItems/EmagicA26A62mFirmwareLoader” has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.​

I suspect it has to do with Snow Leopard's requirement of universal-binary -- the EMI 2|6 software hasn't been updated in ages. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, and does anyone know of a solution? I tried changing the access priveleges on the files, but that didn't work. (access privileges are not the same as security settings)

Also can anyone recommend a good affordable alternative solution commercial epoxy flooring toronto? Items like the MOTU828 or products from RME seem pretty expensive by comparison.
Hello, I'm looking for the OS9 driver for the Emagic EMI A2|6m.

It's called emi26drv.sit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.