printing PostScript with OSX

D

davidp158

Pardon my ignorance folks, but I'm an OS9 Luddite about to (finally) make the switch to OSX. I am about to purchase a new G5 system, including a new printer and need to figure out what my options are for printing PostScript files to an inkjet printer. None of the salespeople I ask have answers, as most consumers (and photographers) print bitmap images (no PostScript) to their injet printers.

I need to print graphic design layouts that include PostScript graphics (logos, etc.) to an inkjet printer. In the past, I've used EPSON PostScript RIP (raster image processor) to process the PostScript data. EPSON is not offering this for OSX, and I'm wondering if I even need it with OSX. They also aren't offering an OSX driver for my "antique" 1520, which is one, of many reasons, I want to replace it.

If I'm not mistaken, there is some "display PostScript" technology working with OSX, that carried over from the old NEXT brand computer days. I'm wondering if this somehow assists with printing PostScript files with OSX applications.

Can anyone tell me if there are any PostScript RIP software solutions that currently work with OSX, USB and inkjet printers? Would converting a file to an Acrobat PDF file work in place of a PostScript RIP?

Any advice, or links to information, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time,

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that I know of, mac os x prints postscript files without extra apps or plugins, at least my canon printer does. also, you can use gimp print and that old printer will probably work in os x.

OP
D

davidp158

Vincent,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Have you ever printed a layout from Quark Xpress or InDesign that had postscript graphics placed in it, to your Canon printer? What sort of postscript files have you sent to your Canon printer?

In the old days (last year or so) some of the PostScript RIPS would send the PostScript data, but lose color managment info (Color Sync profiles), and I'm also wondering about this.

I will also check out the gimp print drivers. I am in the market for a new printer, and was hoping to find an inkjet printer than has PostScript built in, or available as an option. I then started wondering if I even need it...

thanks again for your help,
Dave

Macman said:
that I know of, mac os x prints postscript files without extra apps or plugins, at least my canon printer does. also, you can use gimp print and that old printer will probably work in os x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive actually stopped using quark, Ive printed postscript files out of indesign though. as far as colors, I currently get prepress or better color quality from my canon printer if you set up a magical thing on your mac called ICC color profiles(works with colorsync if need be, but often better than colorsync).

OP
D

davidp158

Vincent,

I also intend to migrate to InDesign when I order the Creative Suite upgrade package. My wife has already forgotten most of the keyboard shortcuts in Quark XPress as she uses InDesign almost exclusively.

Glad to know you're able to print postscript files without a RIP to your printer.

Regarding ICC profiles, I belive they and ColorSync are essentially one and the same. The profiles are just specific to the devices you are using, or intend to use and want to have reflected in your proof. Generic Colorsync profiles aren't specific to any one device, which is why their results can be off.

thanks again for your feedback,
Dave

Macman said:
Ive actually stopped using quark, Ive printed postscript files out of indesign though. as far as colors, I currently get prepress or better color quality from my canon printer if you set up a magical thing on your mac called ICC color profiles(works with colorsync if need be, but often better than colorsync).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, the way mine are setup, I scan an image, and EXACTLY what the screen rep shows in photoshop or indesign is exactly what prints. the scanner, monitor, digi camera, and printer are all using the same profiles.

OP
D

davidp158

Can anyone else confirm that a Postscript RIP is NOT required to print Postscript files with OSX? I'm surprised I haven't been able to find information on this. Even the wizards at the Apple Genius Bar can't tell me one way or another if it will work.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just printed a postscript level 3 file with transparencies and gradients out of quark 6 yesterday, it was fine. thats right, level 3.:mac: I love my canon printer.

OP
D

davidp158

Any placed Postscript VECTOR graphics, like logos or clip art? I believe Postscript data, like gradients, created within the application are handled differently than placed artwork. At that is the case with OS9, but I'm trying to find out how OSX handles placed art.

thanks for your reply,
Dave

Macman said:
I just printed a postscript level 3 file with transparencies and gradients out of quark 6 yesterday, it was fine. thats right, level 3.:mac: I love my canon printer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.