Recording songs to dvd

Reaction score
Greetings:

I have encountered a problem when I attempt to record songs from my play list in iTunes. I am running a iMac with OS X 10.6.8. The problem is that the Computer reshuffles the music and the order of songs I have in the playlist are not the same on the DVD. I use DVD's because the selections run far above a normal CD memory capability. How do I set up the system before I burn a Disk so the song list is exactly the same?

Sil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Seeing as how you are using DVD's, I would immagine it's probably burning the disc as file directory rather than an audio disc meaning that its just copying the files from your hard drive to the disc rather than converting them to streamable pulse code modulation (PCM) that traditional audio CD players use. In this case, it might be burning them in either alphabetical order by file name or by the order that they appear in finder.

You could try re arranging them in finder to the same order that they appear in your playlist or you could try and download a program that will burn the DVD's as DVD audio (iTunes doesn't do this). That way, you could create a playlist there and it would burn the DVD in much the same way that iTunes burns CD's, except obviously you will need a DVD player to play them.

DVD audio holds a number of benefits over CD's. because of all of the extra space, you can either burn many more songs to a single disc, you could burn uncompressed (lossless) tracks, or even (if you have the right tools) music in 5.1 surround sound.

OP
AFMRPCUSER
Reaction score
Adric:

Thank you for responding to my Post, I appreciate your remarks and suggestions, I will try some of these and see what the outcome is. We have since tried re-arranging the music in varying order but the Burner seems to enjoy doing them in Alphabetic Order. Thank you again,

Silvio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
They aren't being burnt to the disc in alphabetical order. Because you are using DVD they are just being burnt as files.
Burn any files to a data disc and the operating system will display them as such. The default being alaphabetical. This has nothing to do with the sequence they are on the disc.
The CD audio standard on the other hand has a mechanic as part of the standard to respect track order.
What you could try is creating an M3U playlist and burn this along with the tracks.

Another, sledgehammer to crack a walnut, solution is to decide upon a sequence then use a renaming tool to put a number at the start of the filename (or in another piece of OS sortable metadata).

Perhaps also consider using Burn to create a true DVD-Audio disc

OP
AFMRPCUSER
Reaction score
They aren't being burnt to the disc in alphabetical order. Because you are using DVD they are just being burnt as files.
Burn any files to a data disc and the operating system will display them as such. The default being alaphabetical. This has nothing to do with the sequence they are on the disc.
The CD audio standard on the other hand has a mechanic as part of the standard to respect track order.
What you could try is creating an M3U playlist and burn this along with the tracks.

Another, sledgehammer to crack a walnut, solution is to decide upon a sequence then use a renaming tool to put a number at the start of the filename (or in another piece of OS sortable metadata).

Perhaps also consider using Burn to create a true DVD-Audio disc

Sir:

Thanks for the tips and information. I must say thought...I would not say they were in Alphabetical order if they were not.

TNX AGN,

Sil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
My point was you are seeing them displayed in alphabetical order. But on a data disc you have no control over the order they are actually burnt to disc.

Pt the disc in, go to the disc in finder and click the name label at the top of the column. They wil now be in z-a order, click it again and it's a-z. Clicking other columns will sort on that.

So my point was to highlight that the order your seeing is how they are presented by the operating system. In reality there's no way of knowing how the data is arranged on the disc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.