Find my iPhone working but...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
...I see that I had to 'enable' it on my phone. Does that mean that some ne're-do-well can 'disable' it after nicking it so that I can no longer find it? In doing so, will that not disable the 'help me' message and remote wipe capability as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
...I see that I had to 'enable' it on my phone. Does that mean that some ne're-do-well can 'disable' it after nicking it so that I can no longer find it? In doing so, will that not disable the 'help me' message and remote wipe capability as well?

That is correct.

As soon as they switch off that option or restore the phone (or if you do a remote wipe) then you will no longer be able to locate your phone. Gizmodo recently posted a article about this too.

Gizmodo - Whoever Steals Your iPhone Can Just Turn Off Find My iPhone Location Tracking - find my iphone

OP
MacTrooper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
That is correct.

As soon as they switch off that option or restore the phone (or if you do a remote wipe) then you will no longer be able to locate your phone. Gizmodo recently posted a article about this too.

Gizmodo - Whoever Steals Your iPhone Can Just Turn Off Find My iPhone Location Tracking - find my iphone

Well, as Gizmodo says, it isn't intended to be a Lojack for the phone. I'm more concerned that disabling MobileMe on the phone would disable the remote wipe since it is tied to the same service. I see Gizmodo thinks it will still work. Anything definitive out there regarding the message/wipe functions if MobleMe is disabled on the phone? It seems like they could have password protected that setting using the unlock code or your MM password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.