POWerrrrBook

D

DaveY4311

Hello,

I am currently running an imac G4 800MHZ 1024 Ram. I am FCP4 person and a little Photoshop, other than that just word processor and internet.

Any advice on upgrading to a Powerbook???
Worth the wait until Jan?

I am still a little bit in limbo but am leaning toward purchasing the 1.5 15in PB.

I figure the current version of the Powerbook has been revised a few times and is the best one yet. Kinks are worked out and it seems rock solid. It will blow away my imac, especially if I load it up with 2GB. I am actively editing FCP4 on my imac and have survived up until now - the jump to the powerbook will be nice, it won't be the Dual G5s in the editing studio, but neither would a G5 PB.

Plus whatever PB comes out in January - G5 or Dual G4 - I won't see it until Feb 1st earliest and it will be more expensive and first generation. I might as well get the PB now with student discount, enjoy it, and revisit the G5 powerbook idea in 2+ years.

Really, how much difference would I notice between a 1.5MHZ G4 PB or the possible release of a 2.0MHZ G4 or a 2.0MHZ Dual G4 or a 1.5MHZ G5 powerbook?

-Thanks for the thoughts.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Well, in my honest opinion, although it looks like you are leaning toward getting it now, I(repeat: I) would wait until new ones come out. The powerbooks are in dieing need of an update(been like 7 months!) and are going to be updated at MWSF(January 05). The update coming is def. going to be a major one. You will be smacking you self in the head when you see those g5 pbs or dual core(NOT dual processor, by the way ;) ) powerbooks for the same price as your g4 one month later....

WAIT!

Side Note: I waited to get my g5 and am very pleased that I did! If I hadn't waited(by the way...I waited 6 months!) I would have a Dual 1.8 instead of a 2!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
ApplejustWorks said:
Well, in my honest opinion, although it looks like you are leaning toward getting it now, I(repeat: I) would wait until new ones come out. The powerbooks are in dieing need of an update(been like 7 months!) and are going to be updated at MWSF(January 05). The update coming is def. going to be a major one. You will be smacking you self in the head when you see those g5 pbs or dual core(NOT dual processor, by the way ;) ) powerbooks for the same price as your g4 one month later....

Do you have a very reliable source when you say that a G5 powerbook will unveiled in January?

I can see maybe a dual core G4 processor powerbook, but not a G5 powerbook. I believe that is wishful thinking, even Apple said G5 powerbook will not be available until last 05, early 06.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
No...I'm just speculating..but it def. WILL be either a dual core G4 or a low end G5...I mean...who would have guessed about a g5 iMac?

It's really nothing you can predict...I mean..(this is going out on a limb now) Apple may have just said that to surprise all of us if they DO introduce a g5 Powerbook...

It may be "Just one more thing..."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.