Pages 4.3 Version working on MacBook with V5

Reaction score
HI, sorry I found this thread and wondered if I could something please?

I have a iMac with Pages 4.3 but a Mac Probook with the 5 something version. I wanted to work on a document I had started on the IMac but when I opened it in the Probook, it said it was locked. Is that because of them different applications as mentioned above please?

Also does it mean I can't do it the other way and make something on the Probook, then not be able to open it on the iMac.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Lynne

OP
B
Reaction score
I have a iMac with Pages 4.3 but a Mac Probook with the 5 something version. I wanted to work on a document I had started on the IMac but when I opened it in the Probook, it said it was locked. Is that because of them different applications as mentioned above please?

Also does it mean I can't do it the other way and make something on the Probook, then not be able to open it on the iMac.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance. :)

Lynne

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First.... please do not cross post or double post. I combined both of your posts together here in the thread you started.

Documents created with Pages 4.3 are converted when you open them with Pages 5.1. I'm assuming you have a new MacBook Pro (it's not called a Probook.) and downloaded the free iWork apps from Apple which included the newer version of Pages.

If you received a warning that the document is locked, right click on it, select "get info", and down at the bottom of the dialog you'll see permissions. Make sure you have read and write permissions. Change them if necessary. Don't make any other changes.

Any document you create with Pages 5.1 will not be able to be edited with Pages 4.3. If you wish, you can download the new version of Pages to your iMac for free and use both versions.

OP
B
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I was supposed to add it to an ongoing thread and as no one added anything, I thought I was meant to start one a separate one, now I know.

Thank you for your advice I will have a go with the MacBook tomorrow (I think I can live with getting the name slightly wrong, but thank you for pointing out my error).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.