slightly messed up home network with upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Ok, so I wasn't part of the home network with my mac while using tiger, but as soon as I installed Leopard for the first time, i could see the other computer on my home network. This amazed me! I could browse her shared files and all sorts of stuff :) but since the 10.5.1 update, I have not been able to connect. I can see the computer icon in the shared part of my Finder Sidebar, but when I click on it to view the files, it just says connecting at the top of the window (there is a connect as button there too). What, I wonder, caused this to happen? It's not like it's important or anything, it just a little convienient, ya know?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so after hours of troubleshooting, I went up and checked the windows computer. It could browse the internet, but just to check, I ran ipconfig. Guess what... it returned 0.0.0.0 for an IP. So a resart of the windows computer fixed to problem at hand.

A new one has arrisen sice then, however. I tried to place some files in the shared folder on the computer, and it let me. The only problem is that i was trying to transfer 70MB worth of data to that computer, and it took over an hour. Should it take that long?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
The only problem is that i was trying to transfer 70MB worth of data to that computer, and it took over an hour. Should it take that long?

What speed is your switch/hub? 10Mbit? My Mac will transfer 70Mb to my PC in a few seconds! Both are Gb through a Gb switch.

In fact I have just transferred a 150Mb Photoshop project to my office PC in 17seconds!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is very slow. A single 80Meg file here took 4-5 seconds from my iMac to PC. 100Base-T connect here.

Sometimes if there are a lot of little files it will take longer but not that long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I have just done the same 150Mb transfer from my Mac pro to my Vista box and it took less than 9 seconds so I think my office PC is a bit slow!!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just done the same 150Mb transfer from my Mac pro to my Vista box and it took less than 9 seconds so I think my office PC is a bit slow!!

I wonder why it was taking so long? would the signal strength have a lot to do with it? the computer upstairs is normally about 1-2 bars, and I get the full status. but her connection still says 54MB/s... very odd. I think I'm gonna try it with my brother's lappy tonight. Thanks for responding!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On WiFi if the signal gets low enough it will slow down the transfers. I was grabbing a video file from a neighbor to help him edit it. I live 2 lots away. The transfer was going very slow and I was at 1-2 bars. I walked through the back yard closer to his yard and the signal went up one more bar. So did the transfer speed. So that very well could be the issue.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On WiFi if the signal gets low enough it will slow down the transfers. I was grabbing a video file from a neighbor to help him edit it. I live 2 lots away. The transfer was going very slow and I was at 1-2 bars. I walked through the back yard closer to his yard and the signal went up one more bar. So did the transfer speed. So that very well could be the issue.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your input. :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.