• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help

Reaction score
I have a brand new Canon VIXIA HF M31 camcorder that I used over the weekend this is the first time I had used the camcorder. When I came home I tried to download the clips into Final Cut Express 4 but was unable to. I used the log in and transfer option but nothing happens. The files the best I can tell is .mts format. If this is the wrong format what do I need to do?

Does anyone know if you can change the format in the camcorder other then .mts?

Does Final Cut Express 4 support the Canon Vixia HF M31?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone will come along.

But as a tip, using descriptive subjects and titles rather than "help" will get you an answer more quickly since people will know exactly what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What EXACTLY did you do? Did you try to import the mts files directly?

Log and Transfer handles the conversion BUT you can't take the files out of the AVCHD hierarchy that's stored on the SDHC card (or hard drive if the M31 has that - I don't know the model off hand).

You should be able to just hook up the camera so it appears as a hard drive on your system (or if the cam takes an SD card, put the card into an SD reader connected to (or in if you have a MBP) your computer) and in FCE open log and transfer and it should locate your files. It may take a bit of time depending on how many and how long the clips are for it to appear.

OP
T
Reaction score
I open up final Cut Express 4 went to log and transfer and the clips show up but when I click on the send to que button they do not add to que. I tried using both my card reader and the camcorder itself. Yes when I hook up both the card reader and the camcorder they do show up in finder as they should.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Can you record a short, say <1min video so it's the only thing on the card, then zip the private folder and make it available for download? I don't have a system in front of me with FCE installed (I'm at work atm) but I'd be happy to try at home to see if I get different results.

What mode did you record in? 60i? 24p (over 60i) or 30p (over 60i)? What kind of Mac do you have (intel or ppc)? Is your FCE updated (I think the current version is 4.01 or something like that)? The camera should work fine with FCE - especially if you recorded your material in 60i.

OP
T
Reaction score
I recorded in 60i mxp mode a new mac book pro intel core duo 2.8 4 gigs of memory 320 hardrive. I'm using a iomega external hard drive as my scratch disc. Yes it is update.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.