Program crashes after new graphics card

Reaction score
I've just replaced the graphics card in a Mac Pro tower, after the old one burnt out and prevented the system from booting up.

The OS now seems to be opening and running as it should, but now a lot of the programs previously installed instantly crash upon opening. The system software I think is as updated as available, and as far as I know no extra drivers should be required.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance!

New card = GeForce 8800 GTX
OS = 10.7.5

Dual core 2.66 GHz Intel Xenon
(1st gen. Mac Pro)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the GeForce 8800 GTX card a Mac card or is it a Windows card that has been re-programmed (ROM) for the Mac? Many Mac Pro owners buy re-programmed Windows cards because they're less expensive than the Mac version, however, they can be problematic. Which is the reason why I ask..... ?

OP
J
Reaction score
Is the GeForce 8800 GTX card a Mac card or is it a Windows card that has been re-programmed (ROM) for the Mac? Many Mac Pro owners buy re-programmed Windows cards because they're less expensive than the Mac version, however, they can be problematic. Which is the reason why I ask..... ?

It was sold to me as a Mac card, so I just assumed it was. But perhaps it could be a Windows card, if they look the same?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It was sold to me as a Mac card, so I just assumed it was. But perhaps it could be a Windows card, if they look the same?

A good/easy/fast way to tell. If it has a VGA or serial port on it...then it's not a genuine Macintosh video card.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There were two version of the 8800 card. The first was for Mac Pro 3.1's, and a later release was for Mac Pro 1.1 and 2.1's. Yours is a 1.1 so make sure the card is for thad model. Ask the seller what it was used in. From your problems sure sounds like the wrong card.

OP
J
Reaction score
The ports both appear to be the Apple ones, not VGA/serial, so I guess it's a proper Mac card, at least.
I assumed that the cards for 3.1 Mac Pros wouldn't work at all in the 1.1s, and the seller did emphasise that it was for the 1st Gen model - but I suppose I should check with them again to make sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you did not have this problem prior to fitting the card, either it is the wrong card, or if the correct one, it is dodgy and failing.

OP
J
Reaction score
If you did not have this problem prior to fitting the card, either it is the wrong card, or if the correct one, it is dodgy and failing.

No, with the old card everything was opening and running fine, even while it was slowly dying.
I thought this new card had fixed things until I found some programs would instantly crash. I was hoping it was just a driver issue or software that needed upgrading, but it seems like I'm going to need another card again.

Thanks all for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.