Automatically shutdown computer

Reaction score
Is there a program where i can set a timer say like 1 hour and it will turn my mac of after that 1 hour. Like a sleep timer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
Go into System Preferences and then into Energy Saver. All you need is right there.

Keep the computer on as much as possible with a shutdown here and there to wipe the virtual memory. If you're constantly shutting the computer down, it'll reduce the life of the hardware and won't allow the system to run daily maintenance scripts that will optimize your computer's performance.

Just put her to sleep!

OP
D
Reaction score
Go into System Preferences and then into Energy Saver. All you need is right there.

Keep the computer on as much as possible with a shutdown here and there to wipe the virtual memory. If you're constantly shutting the computer down, it'll reduce the life of the hardware and won't allow the system to run daily maintenance scripts that will optimize your computer's performance.

Just put her to sleep!

But putting it to sleep means that the computer needs to be inactive. I want to use the computer like a tv have it shutdown after a set period of time while the program im still using is running. Basically i want it to shut down while media central is still running. I did it on my windows laptop all the time. Anyone know of a program that will do that.

Reaction score
your use of the word "Shut down" implies turning off your Mac...I take it you understand the confusion. I'm interpreting your querie as if you want to leave a program running but have the display go to sleep. Otherwise I am unaware of any app which would do what you are asking.

Try setting the Sleep to Never and put the display to sleep when the computer in inactive for... play around here to get the desired result. I have mine set for about 50mins.

So, if I have my Elgato Digital Terrestrial USB receiver set to record a show which will be on after I go to bed I just leave this app running.

Reaction score
So it seems that an Applescript was the answer or if you don't know how to create one, then iWillQuit seems perfect!

Thanks for letting us know you sorted things out Dave.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.