• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Downsizing MKV to avi

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2.3GB mkv file I would like to downsize to around 700MB avi. I tried 35% quality to avi in MpegStreamclip but the resulting file was 6.5GB! How can I make a smaller size avi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
First question I'd have is why are you making an AVI? Aside from it being a very old container, it's not one that would default to being supported on a Mac without additional software (ie: perian). My next question is what video resolution is the mkv? And another; what codec are you trying to use for the AVI (some codecs suck at reducing the size)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Not a good idea to do this, seems a little pointless, but ffmpegx will do it to a reasonable quality. It takes AGES!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Hi, I have a 2.3GB mkv file I would like to downsize to around 700MB avi. I tried 35% quality to avi in MpegStreamclip but the resulting file was 6.5GB! How can I make a smaller size avi?

Try a program called Xilisoft, it's a video conversion program that was now coded for Mac. You can also use VisualHub and choose what size you want it to be. I still use AVI and MPEG because my Mac can play them, it's not a dead format in the Pc world as much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.