Selling one MBP, moving to another new one

Reaction score
Hi all, think I have got the correct forum section for this one, if not apologies.

I am selling my mid 2009 MBP 15" and will be replacing it with a new 13" model. The main issue I am going to have is migrating everything over to the new 13", I say this as I am not going to have both MBP's at the sametime, I need to sell the 15" to be able to buy the 13".

I have read some articles detailing using the migration assistant, but it appears you need both of the MBP's on the same network to do it, which I won't be able to do.

Can anyone suggest how I can migrate all of my user profile and data etc across to the new MBP once I get it ?, is there a way I can utilise an external hardrive now whilst I still have the MBP 15" and take a backup, that I can simply restore on the 13" when I get it ?

thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

Rgds
Martin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
You can use Carbon Copy Cloner. Its a free software to back up a clone of your current hard disk. You can google it and download the software and then use it.

Cheers.

Rav

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Recently did just that, and it works fine. And, as an added benefit, you now have a complete backup of your system on the external hard drive!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.