Help needed re unusual App/Mac specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I have come across a sticky problem that has me beat (it doesn;t take much, lol)
Here are some details for you to ponder.
My Mac Mini is from Mid 2010 with the following specs.

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F37)

The software App that I am trying to install is a version of IBM's ViaVoice produced especially for Mac computer running OS X.
The Minimum required Spec list on the side of the box states that this software WILL NOT WORK on a PowerMac G3 or PowerBook G3. The list also says that I should install this software on a Mac with 300 MHz processor, 192 mb of RAM (256 is better) & 600 mb of spare hard drive space.

Now, I think I'm right in saying that my Mac Mini exceeds the required specs so how come that when I try to install the App by double clicking the ViaVoice Installer icon I get a message saying .....
"You can’t open the application “ViaVoice Installer.app” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."
Does the App think that my computer is a Power PC? It isn't, is it? (slaps forehead)
Any help gratefully received.
Cheers,
Steve.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The software App that I am trying to install is a version of IBM's ViaVoice produced especially for Mac computer running OS X.
The Minimum required Spec list on the side of the box states that this software WILL NOT WORK on a PowerMac G3 or PowerBook G3. The list also says that I should install this software on a Mac with 300 MHz processor, 192 mb of RAM (256 is better) & 600 mb of spare hard drive space.

Now, I think I'm right in saying that my Mac Mini exceeds the required specs so how come that when I try to install the App by double clicking the ViaVoice Installer icon I get a message saying .....
"You can’t open the application “ViaVoice Installer.app” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."
Does the App think that my computer is a Power PC? It isn't, is it? (slaps forehead)

The answer is easy. That software is way way way too old. Your 2010 Mac-Mini cannot run it.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^

The app is a PPC app and you are using an Intel Mac.
PPC apps will not run with either 10.7 or 10.8.
That is your computer telling you it cannot run PPC apps.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi guys,
Now, while I am happy to accept that my Mac is to new to run this particular App (as you say) does it not sound as though the App is telling me that "PowerPC applications are no longer supported" by saying that PPC WERE supported in the past. In other words, the software only works with the system that was used AFTER the PPC system was kicked into touch.
Or am I just being to much of a pedant?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Macs were initially based on PowerPC chips, in 2006 they migrated to use X86 (Intel) chips. Until OS X Snow Leopard 10.6, you could continue running PowerPC apps on Intel-X86 based Macs through a software called Rosetta..

OS X Lion 10.7 dropped support for Rosetta and by extension the ability to run PowerPC apps on Intel-based Macs.

If your Mac originally came with Snow Leopard but was upgraded, you could re-install Snow Leopard and run this application If it it came with Lion, then you cannot go backward and have no way of running the application..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi guys,
Now, while I am happy to accept that my Mac is to new to run this particular App (as you say) does it not sound as though the App is telling me that "PowerPC applications are no longer supported" by saying that PPC WERE supported in the past. In other words, the software only works with the system that was used AFTER the PPC system was kicked into touch.
Or am I just being to much of a pedant?

As Raz0rEdge correctly points out. Your 2010 Mac-Mini originally shipped with OS 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard). Snow Leopard included a program called "Rosetta" which allowed newer Mac's with Intel cpu's to run older software written for the older PPC cpu's.

When I mentioned above that your Mac-Mini was too new...it's the OS (10.8.5) that is too new. If you downgraded back to OS 10.6...and had Rosetta" installed...there's a good chance this application you're interested in will run. FYI...there is no Rosetta support for OS 10.7 or 10.8.

But downgrading to OS 10.6 might be a BIG price to pay to run one really old program...especially since you currently have OS 10.8.5 installed (and maybe you're looking forward to upgrading to the next Mac OS 10.9 "Mavericks").

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much for the explanations and answers, guys. (absolutely no sarcasm intended there) but now you have me intrigued. What would I actually miss out on by taking my Mac Mini back to OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) The reason that I ask is that apart from browsing the web, watching movies and working with Office type documents, I don't do a great deal so pigoo3's comment about downgrading being a big price to pay may not be a huge price after all. In fact, I have a funny feeling that, providing that the ViaVoice software actually works it may, in fact, be very cost effective.
Cheers,
Steve.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Within the next month or two, 10.6 will be three (3) versions behind the current version of OS X.

There already exist a ton of apps that only support 10.6.8 (the last update of 10.6) or newer.
With the soon to be released 10.9, even more developers will no longer test, nor support, their apps with 10.6.

Cannot in good conscience suggest you go back to an OS that is 2 versions behind where you are now to run an app that is at least 10 yrs old. Would have to recommend you begin looking at Dragon/other software.

Now, if you have a spare hard drive - installing 10.6 there to give it a try would get you some feedback without blowing you current system away. Or possibly a bootable clone that you've kept around of 10.6. Wouldn't spend $50 for another drive just to try it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I used ViaVoice when it was just about the only speech recognition software on the market. I was not overly impressed with the accuracy or speed of the software. Granted I was running it on something only marginally above their minimum required software. I don't think e speed will be that impressive using Rosetta to emulate the PPC chip.

If ypour voice dictation needs are minimal (or you just want to experiment with it) have a look at the voice recognition / dictation features built into OS X. If you need more features and more voice control over your Mac check out Dragon Dictate for Mac. It's not free or cheap but it is a newer, well-supported program that runs circles around ViaVoice. ViaVoice was fine for its day but things have moved on.

This article might help you decide which is better for you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What would I actually miss out on by taking my Mac Mini back to OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)...

Assuming that you purchased this Mac-Mini new. My question back to you would be...If your Mac-Mini originally came with 10.6 installed on it...and you're thinking what would you miss going back to 10.6...why did you ever upgrade to 10.8 in the first place??;)

Also...with this being said...you should have experience with both 10.6 and 10.8...so you would be the best person to answer your question I quoted (you asked) above.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The simple solution to this whole predicament is...purchase a newer version of the ViaVoice software (or this software's equivalent)!:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Nick, there is no newer version of ViaVoice. It was discontinued ages ago.

As usual, Sylv has the complete answer to the OP's dilemma in his post. Even if 5tevie got ViaVoice working on a downgraded 10.6.x, he would HATE IT. Because IT WAS AWFUL.

The built-in dictation of 10.8 or Dragon Dictate are sooooooo much better its not even funny.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, there is no newer version of ViaVoice. It was discontinued ages ago.

That's why (if you read my last post carefully);)...I said..."or this software's equivalent". Which what I meant to say exactly was..."or this software's modern equivalent".

You mentioned...Dragon Dictate...which would be the modern equivalent.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.