• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OS 10.7 Lion feature/rumour roundup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This is just going to be a post to consolidate all of the info we have for OS 10.7 Lion. I'd like to update it as new info comes to date. Just a place where people can get their Lion information fix.

I'm not sure if I see this as a pure informational only topic or as a discussion topic as well. Anyways here's the info.

What we know about Mac OS X Lion
What we know about Mac OS X Lion

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: File Vault full disk encryption and cloud key storage
AppleInsider | Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: File Vault full disk encryption and cloud key storage
In Mac OS X Lion, Apple has completely revamped FileVault, removing it as a simple encryption of users' Home folders and reinstating it as full disk encryption solution, with an apparent option to save disk encryption keys with Apple, likely via MobileMe.

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Auto Save, File Versions and Time Machine
AppleInsider | Insider Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Auto Save, File Versions and Time Machine
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion makes a conceptual leap away from the Mac's original focus on opening apps to create files, launching a new task-centric interface borrowed from iOS. Lion apps can also auto save multiple Versions of the document for Time Machine-like recovery of previous iterations of a file.

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Dozens of high quality new multilingual speech voices
AppleInsider | Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Dozens of high quality new multilingual speech voices
In Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Apple added a very realistic new voice named Alex for text to speech features. In Lion, Apple provides dozens of even better quality voices in more than forty languages and dialects.

Mac OS X Lion features hidden tribute to Steve Jobs
Mac OS X Lion features hidden tribute to Steve Jobs

Find my Mac coming in 10.7 Lion?
Find my Mac coming in 10.7 Lion? | 9 to 5 Mac Find my Mac coming in 10.7 Lion? | Apple Intelligence

Time Machine can be used without an external hard drive in Lion, via new ‘Local Snapshots’ feature
Time Machine can be used without an external hard drive in Lion, via new ‘Local Snapshots’ feature | 9 to 5 Mac Time Machine can be used without an external hard drive in Lion, via new ‘Local Snapshots’ feature | Apple Intelli

10.7 Lion allows multi-user remote computing
10.7 Lion allows multi-user remote computing | 9 to 5 Mac 10.7 Lion allows multi-user remote computing | Apple Intelligence

Lion lets you play tunes in the iTunes Artwork screen saver
Lion lets you play tunes in the iTunes Artwork screen saver | 9 to 5 Mac Lion lets you play tunes in the iTunes Artwork screen saver | Apple Intelligence

Lion’s ‘Signature Capture’ in Preview photographs your written signature to put in PDFs
Lion’s ‘Signature Capture’ in Preview photographs your written signature to put in PDFs | 9 to 5 Mac Lion’s ‘Signature Capture’ in Preview photographs your written signature to put in PDFs | Apple Intelligence

10.7 Lion lets you login to other Macs with an Apple ID. MobileMe’s Back to my Mac going free?
10.7 Lion lets you login to other Macs with an Apple ID. MobileMe’s Back to my Mac going free? | 9 to 5 Mac 10.7 Lion lets you login to other Macs with an Apple ID. MobileMe’s Back to my Mac going free? | Apple Intelligence

More Lion features: iChat does Yahoo! IM, does iOS key menus, Live Preview
More Lion features: iChat does Yahoo! IM, does iOS key menus, Live Preview | 9 to 5 Mac More Lion features: iChat does Yahoo! IM, does iOS key menus, Live Preview | Apple Intelligence

Podcast Publisher lets you run your own shows, debuts in 10.7 Lion
Podcast Publisher lets you run your own shows, debuts in 10.7 Lion | 9 to 5 Mac Podcast Publisher lets you run your own shows, debuts in 10.7 Lion | Apple Intelligence

Front Row is missing from 10.7 Lion
Front Row is missing from 10.7 Lion | 9 to 5 Mac Front Row is missing from 10.7 Lion | Apple Intelligence

10.7 Lion drops support for PowerPC applications
10.7 Lion drops support for PowerPC applications | 9 to 5 Mac 10.7 Lion drops support for PowerPC applications | Apple Intelligence

Mac OS X Lion’s AirDrop in action: tests, instructions and vid
Mac OS X Lion’s AirDrop in action: tests, instructions and video | 9 to 5 Mac Mac OS X Lion’s AirDrop in action: tests, instructions and video | Apple Intelligence

Lion supports TRIM. Why do you want TRIM?
Lion supports TRIM. Why do you want TRIM? | 9 to 5 Mac Lion supports TRIM. Why do you want TRIM? | Apple Intelligence

OS X 10.7 Lion’s Recovery Partition changes the way the OS repairs itself
OS X 10.7 Lion’s Recovery Partition changes the way the OS repairs itself | 9 to 5 Mac OS X 10.7 Lion’s Recovery Partition changes the way the OS repairs itself | Apple Intelligence

Scrolling is bass-ackwards in Lion
Scrolling is bass-ackwards in Lion | 9 to 5 Mac Scrolling is bass-ackwards in Lion | Apple Intelligence

Apple announces Lion Server, comes integrated into Mac OS X Lion
Apple announces Lion Server, comes integrated into Mac OS X Lion | 9 to 5 Mac Apple announces Lion Server, comes integrated into Mac OS X Lion | Apple Intelligence

Lion includes all new Mail.app: looks like iPad mail, has new “Conversations” feature
Lion includes all new Mail.app: looks like iPad mail, has new “Conversations” feature | 9 to 5 Mac Lion includes all new Mail.app: looks like iPad mail, has new “Conversations” feature | Apple Intelligence

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro os10.9.2
Excellent post! Looking forward to your updates.

Reaction score
Just curious, for updates in the past such as snow leopard, how much did the new OS cost to upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Snow leopard was a special case, since it was more of a refinement than a new OS. Snow leopard was, if I'm not mistaken, $29 for people who were upgrading from leopard. Leopard was $129 or someone around there... I'm assuming tiger will fall somewhere between those 2, but I'm assume they will lean towards the higher end, especially if they are including the server OS in the same package.

Reaction score
Snow leopard was a special case, since it was more of a refinement than a new OS. Snow leopard was, if I'm not mistaken, $29 for people who were upgrading from leopard. Leopard was $129 or someone around there... I'm assuming tiger will fall somewhere between those 2, but I'm assume they will lean towards the higher end, especially if they are including the server OS in the same package.

Thanks!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would put my money on 10.7 Lion costing $129. Just like 10.5 Leopard ad 10.4 Tiger etc etc cost. 10.6 Snow Leopard was really more like a 10.5s. Or a 10.5 service pack (for those coming from the windows world. But a really really good one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Bookmarking this thread.
Thanks a lot 8!

- Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
This thread is much appreciated! Will check back from time to time... Cannot wait for the release of this OS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Darn, can't rep you Ark.
Great post! ++

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Underwhelmed.

I'll upgrade like everyone else but I haven't seen anything that will make my experience any different or better. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I would put my money on 10.7 Lion costing $129. Just like 10.5 Leopard ad 10.4 Tiger etc etc cost. 10.6 Snow Leopard was really more like a 10.5s. Or a 10.5 service pack (for those coming from the windows world. But a really really good one.

I think it's a little murkier than that. Apple may be inclinded to bring more people in with a major upgrade at a low price point in order to bring more customers into the new App Store. That could really be a big earner for Apple in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I completely agree. While I wish it would be another cheap upgrade, I don't think it will be at all. It seems like too much of a step up to not be $129...

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Lion Includes Many Small but Significant Changes
Mac OS X Lion Includes Many Small but Significant Changes: Apple News, Tips and Reviews «

Resize Windows From Anywhere
Local Snapshots in Time Machine
Migration Assistant Supports PCs
Finder View Settings No Longer Global
Spotlight’s Bigger and has Previews
Easy Access to Accented Letters

Even Smaller Changes

There are some changes in Lion that merit a brief mention:

When you download an application from the Mac App Store, the icon flies into Launchpad rather than the Dock.
Dock badges look exactly like they do on iOS.
When you’re moving more than one file in the finder, a red number appears showing how many items you’re moving.
When you highlight a word and use the Look Up in Dictionary command, a pop-up appears with the definition rather than launching the Dictionary app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you highlight a word and use the Look Up in Dictionary command, a pop-up appears with the definition rather than launching the Dictionary app.

I'm excited about this one, actually. I do a lot of writing, and when I try to expand my vocabulary I often need to make sure I'm using the word correctly. :p

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm excited about this one, actually. I do a lot of writing, and when I try to expand my vocabulary I often need to make sure I'm using the word correctly. :p

Meh ...... Old news.

Use the Keyboard Shortcut Control>Command>D when you put your cursor over any word in any App . . . . . Brilliant :)

One of my Favourites

Reaction score
Meh ...... Old news.

Use the Keyboard Shortcut Control>Command>D when you put your cursor over any word in any App . . . . . Brilliant :)

One of my Favourites

You sir, have just saved me a load of time looking up words I find questionable. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meh ...... Old news.

One of my Favourites

Brilliant! Thank you for the information! :)

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.