powerbook g4 or ibook g4?

D

daughter_anna

help!

i was originally planning to get the 15inch powerbook g4 for this fall as an incoming college freshman but was told by a friend that powerbooks tend to "break down" easily. he also had to exchange it twice from the month he purchased it which was just last april. his advice to me was to get the ibook g4- "cheaper and more reliable" he says.

i just wanted to know if this was true about the powerbook g4.. and if the ibook g4 would be a smarter choice for me considering that the notebook i do choose to purchase will be my first mac ever.

i know that getting used to mac osx is going to be a lot more complicated considering i've worked on a windows my whole life. but i'm determined to learn how to operate a mac- my course being in a range of computer science/digital art/web-design.

i'm open to any suggestions. i'm a mac newbie and i need a lot of advice from those of you who are all experts:p thanks so much in advance!

OP
N

nicholas

I've known just as many people tell me how their ibooks broke down as I've heard people say their powerbooks busted. As long as you buy a decent laptop case for it and don't bring it to frat parties, you'll be straight. Your budget is probably going to be your biggest determining factor in which computer to buy, although judging from what you're leaning towards in your major, the faster the better. i'm always a big proponent of getting the best you can afford, but ONLY what you can afford. Oh, and since it's your first time using a mac, if you want to learn swiftly and soundly, I'd say get the powerbook so you can concentrate on running multiple applications instead of wondering if the spinning beachball (mac's equivalent of windows' sand timer) is ever going to end.

OP
D

daughter_anna

nicholas said:
I've known just as many people tell me how their ibooks broke down as I've heard people say their powerbooks busted. As long as you buy a decent laptop case for it and don't bring it to frat parties, you'll be straight. Your budget is probably going to be your biggest determining factor in which computer to buy, although judging from what you're leaning towards in your major, the faster the better. i'm always a big proponent of getting the best you can afford, but ONLY what you can afford. Oh, and since it's your first time using a mac, if you want to learn swiftly and soundly, I'd say get the powerbook so you can concentrate on running multiple applications instead of wondering if the spinning beachball (mac's equivalent of windows' sand timer) is ever going to end.

thanks, nicholas. you really gave me something to think about.

also, why is it that most graphic/web designers prefer mac to windows? i've heard that a lot.. but never really got the whole idea why though..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
Hard choice, but I made mine based on the fact that I have a nice Powermac. I got the 933 ibook at the apple store for a steal. It was on sale for $999 since they want to get rid of them to make room for the new models. It works well and after doing the monitor span trick its a great laptop. I am not a gammer so it works for me. Oh and I got the 14" version with a combo drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
daughter_anna i merged the two threads you posted since double posting isn't allowed on the forums...not a big problem just so you know for future reference. I put your thread into the switcher hangout since you will get more responses from powerbook and ibook owners in this forum then if it was just in one of the systems subforums.

I have a 15" powerbook (titanium so older then whats out now) and haven't had any problems with it. If your friend got the powerbook when they first updated them that could be the problem because with each new revision you always get more bad systems than usual. right now I would say you are safe either way you go with for the laptop. I will be bringing my powerbook to college this fall without any worries about it

OP
D

daughter_anna

i will be working on adobe photoshop/illustrator and a bunch of other graphic programs, would the powerbook be a smarter choice than that of the ibook or will any of the two do?

i also play a lot of dvds, and am addicted to the sims too. would the programs that i use run slower on an ibook than a powerbook? what's the best choice i can make taking in mind that graphic/web design is what i will be majoring in?

OP
M

Matt

Iv'e heard the Powerbooks get very hot, but don't take my word for it, Iv'e never used a Powerbook. I suggest you ask your friend about that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well if you're going to use progs like photoshop, the powerbook will probably render things a second or two faster than the ibook, and might also make very large files easier to deal with...

It depends if you need the speed or not. I think for the sims, the difference should be neglible since it's been out a while..

Also bear in mind that the ibooks have a longer battery life. Both machines get fairly warm so i wouldn't count that against the powerbooks..

OP
N

nicholas

The latest generation of powerbooks never get hot, simply warm to the touch. iBooks have longer battery life, but even my 17" powerbook with all guns blazing lasts about 2.5 to 3 hours, which is longer than most people usually use their laptops for without being next to a socket of some sort.

What Aptmunich said about The Sims is correct. That game is fairly old so even the lowest end iBook could run it seamlessly. However, with your desire to run apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, and who knows what else, that is specifically the audience the powerbook is caterered for. The graphic professionals. iBooks are catered more for students, not just because of their harder plastic shell, but their lower price point, reached simply be shaving performance factors off the hardware.

For you, daughter of Anna, get the powerbook.

OP
D

daughter_anna

thankyou for all the feedback.

i made up my mind and i'm sticking to the 15 inch powerbook g4 ;)

OP
N

nicholas

hahaha, download photoshop? now we're talking slightly illegal. but yes, limewire, at the right times of day, can get you just about anything under the sun. it might take several tries though, and beware. many program files are corrupted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
We do not support illegal pirating on the forums so we don't discuss downloading programs/musics/movies etc unless legal

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.