G3 Wallstreet: Weird problem

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Something weird is going on... Since the battery on my PB is completely dead, I hae to use the computer with the AC adapter. But when I disconnect it to move the computer and then connect it again, the computer reacts as if I had resetted it. The fan turns on for like three seconds, then shuts down, and when I press the power button, it takes more than a minute to boot.

I have OS X (10.1.5) and OS 9.2.2, and as long as the computer is connected to the AC adapter, it will boot to OS X, when I disconnect it, it will boot to OS 9, gets to the desktop and freezes. Forced power down does not work. I have to reset it, boots fine, go to start up disk, select OS X and restart; and it will work prefectly until I disconnect it from the AC adapter again...

What could be the problem here? it's driving me crazy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
what i got from that... is... when you disconect your battery dead powerbook from ac, it resets?
and... when you are using the BATTERY DEAD powerbook WITHOUT the ac, it's not functioning properly...
that... makes sense.. sorry if i'm not getting the whole picture here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
The pram battery (assuming it has one... its been a long, long time since i took mine apart) is probably dead as well as the system battery. That's my guess, at least.

OP
E
Reaction score
what i got from that... is... when you disconect your battery dead powerbook from ac, it resets?
and... when you are using the BATTERY DEAD powerbook WITHOUT the ac, it's not functioning properly...
that... makes sense.. sorry if i'm not getting the whole picture here...

Hey,
The battery is dead, I don't even use it. I have the CD in one slot, and a Zip drive in the other. The computer works only with the AC adapter. The thing is that when I disconnect it to transport it, when I reconnect the adapter, it behaves as if I did a reset using fn+ctrl+shift+power. I would understand that this behaviour is normal because the lack of battery, but why start up in OS 9 and not X as seleted under Start Up disk?

OP
E
Reaction score
The pram battery (assuming it has one... its been a long, long time since i took mine apart) is probably dead as well as the system battery. That's my guess, at least.

I took it apart a few days ago to fix a magnetic sensor issue I had after a hard drive upgrade... and yes, PRAM battery is still there, and after all this hassle, when I get it to boot to X again, the time and date are correct...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.