MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Ghz, 1 g memory
Here's what I'm using ...

- Comcast high speed cable and modem
- Netgear WGT624 wireless router
- (1) hardwired pc
- (2) wireless pc's
- (1) wireless MacBook

Problem ...

One wireless PC will not connect to my network. I am getting a great signal from my router on the pc however the IP address for this pc comes up as 169.254.xxx.xx .... because it wouldn't connect, I went into my Netgear router settings and tried to manually give this IP address access. The netgear software came back with a msg saying the ip address needs to be in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 ... This is the range that all the other hardware is in.

Can anybody tell me why my troubled pc is coming up with this address even though it had been working fine for several weeks prior?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help me out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Ita appears that you PC is using your ISP for an IP and not your router.

Try resetting you router.

Reaction score
Simple question: did you reboot the PC?

If it's set to automatically pull an IP address from your local network that should solve the problem.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my pc is set to obtain ip add automatically and I've reset the whole network (router, modem, and computers) several times with no luck. I turn on the troubled pc and I get a 108 mbps signal from my router and then it goes through a few minutes of trying to obtain an IP and finally returns a message that there is limited or no connectivity. I check the IP address at the Netgear interface on this computer and it shows an IP of 169.254.146.xx

Reaction score
Assuming the computer giving you the trouble is a Windows machine, did you try running the Windows network troubleshooter?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got it and feel pretty stupid right now. For some reason the troubled pc was set to "open" and it should have been set to "shared key".

Everything is good .... thanks for your help Cath and Reel1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.