iPad screen goes black

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac's Macbook pros
From time to time the iPad screen goes black, right in the middle of whatever I'm doing. It can happen seconds after turning on the iPad, or much later. Doesn't seem to be application specific.

Only solution is to press the button at the bottom, which brings the screen back but closes the application. So I then have to relaunch the app. Annoying.

Anyone else seen this behavior? It's a 3G model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I've had my 3G for about a week now, never seen this issue. I'd recommend going to an apple store to have it looked at. It sounds like there is something wrong with the screen itself.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not seen that here either.

Reaction score
Ipad screen goes blank from time to time

Hi
Yes I have this same problem.
Intermittently on restore and after rotation the screen goes blank for several seconds. If I push the button the screen comes back and you just see the app closing.

I did buy a genuine apple vga connector and the problem seemed to start after using this for the first time but that could be a coincidence.

Did you find a fix?
Brad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Just for clarity .... are these iPad's jailbroken by any chance ?

Cheers ... McBie

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I have the same problem on a 64gb nonjailbroken 3G. It seems like it is closing the app and putting the screen lock on randomly. I will take it back on Friday to see what they can do.

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my non-jailbroken iPad. not a big deal normally, but I have seen it happen a few times. No strange cables either. Random, not tied to any particular app either. Doesn't freeze or anything, just goes black and you are back at the icons when you push the home button.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Still not seeing this.

I am seeing the entire thing lock up when playing streaming videos all too often. It's not directly reproducible. Have seen enough, that I'm pretty sure I'll be springing for the additional year warranty, and the number of times I've bought those in the last 40 years is still in the single digits.

The only way out of the lock up is to hold both the power and home buttons until it shuts down. The first power on after that is in excess of 2 minutes.

Reaction score
Ive never seen this either...maybe its something to du with the 3g models... Thats wat u guys all have in common

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've had this happen to me from time to time. A minor annoyance, I just figured it was a software glitch.

Reaction score
ipad Screen Blanking

I'm having the same problem too.
Ipad 3G, 64Gig (45 free), Not Jail Broken, Ver 3.2.2
Issue just started a couple of weeks ago? have had ipad since 3g version came out.

Reaction score
I am having same problem on a 32gb 3 iPad. I've had it for several months but it jus started doing this last week.

Reaction score
Black screen/closes app frequently

I have a first gen iPad, 64g, and for no apparent reason, the screen goes black and whatever app I am using is closed on me. It seems to be happening more and more frequently, especially when loading a blog, or trying to watch a YouTube video. I try to open safari or youtube again and it will often crash several times before it may or may not decide to load for me. It is extremely annoying and getting to the point where I don't want to use it! I lov(ed) my iPad!

Reaction score
iPad black screen

Ive noticed similar comments on the iPad screen blacking out. Ever since I upgraded to the new operating system, my screen goes black right in the middle of my activity...usually I'm browsing. The screen goes black and then goes to the home page screen, and I have to reopen my browser. Anyone else have info to share on cause and fix?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know for sure, but I believe it is caused by not enough RAM. Try powering it off once in awhile - once a day maybe.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
It happens to me now that I've upgraded to IOS 5. It's not a big deal - as it usually happens when bringing up a 'running' app - but I'll just add to the observation list here. I'll happily put up with the 0.5s inconvenience for the improvements IOS 5 brought.

Reaction score
Blacking screen

I have a one-year old iPad one with 32g wifi only (not jail broken) and it seems to have picked up on dropping out to either a black screen or to the desktop. It did this a couple of times right after I rebooted (held the top and bottom buttons in long enough for the screen to go black). I rebooted because I "lost" the screen keypad. I lost the keypad twice, too. This iPad also recently turned itself on and played a YouTube video I had watched some 12 hours previously....I was sitting across the room when I heard it come on and saw the light beneath the closed cover. The next day it came on when I brushed the screen with my sleeve and again when I lifted the cover (it is not an iPad2 so it shouldn't come on without touching one of the buttons). I just upgraded the OS today...though I did the bigger OS upgrade (and had to reload all my apps) last week. I think it's either inherent "flakiness" or it's "haunted". ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 2.1 Ghz 8GB Ram
sounds like yall are haveing trouble with the apple kill prosses stuff thay started useing in ios3 ,4 ,5 or baseband but im ether going blank or home screen frezzes have to hard reset thin it goes to the itunes restore have yet to figure it out somethinto do with baseband and face book i uninstalled it for a month had no problem reinstalled it and twice in the past week

ipad2 3g 64gb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.