firewire external hard drive question.

Reaction score
soon im getting a macbook pro along with a firestudio and logic. of course i plan on getting an external hard drive to save all of my projects to, to (hopefully) keep my macbook running at its best performance/speed.

now knowing that my macbook will only have one firewire port, im confused as to what i should do about using the external hard drive. i want a firewire external hard drive but my firestudio will be using the only firewire port and i know that a usb drive will slow down my computer.

what can/should i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
Most FW audio interfaces have 2 x firewire ports for this purpose.
OR your FW drive will have 2 x FW connections.
Check the manual for your audio interface to see which way you should
"daisy chain" the connections.
With my laptop setup, I have Mac -> RME FW400 -> Drive and it works perfectly.

Cheers,
Marty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
You can also look into external SATA drives that run from an express card interface.

OP
V
Reaction score
oh wow. thanks for pointing this out to me. but to make things clear, i'll just plug the drive into the back of the firestudio?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
oh wow. thanks for pointing this out to me. but to make things clear, i'll just plug the drive into the back of the firestudio?

Try that way and boot up the interface and drive BEFORE the mac.
Your firestudio manual may have a suggestion on this so have a read

MM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.