RAM recommendations

Reaction score
I recently bought a Macbook off ebay, and I now want to upgrade the RAM to 4G from 2G. I thought my options may be limited seeing i've gotta source DDR2 667Mhz RAM, but there's a heap of options on Ebay. MY question is - is any particular brand better/more reliable than the rest? Or is RAM just RAM? Is RAM all the same size, or do laptops require something specific?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OWC (aka MacSales), and Crucial. There are others but probably not as well priced or reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26ghz 4GB, iPod nano 1st & 3rd gen., iPod touch 2nd gen.
I got mine from Crucial and it works amazing, i recommend them! OWC is also really good. Check both to see which will give you a better price because their both really good. and make sure you buy RAM with the necessary MHz and that its DDR2. In crucial and i believe OWC you can select the type of Mac you have so your sure to get what you need. hope all goes well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And memory is not memory. Modules not meeting specs causes more troubles and kernel panics than any other reason. As a general rule PC RAM is not good for a Mac as Macs require low density modules. You got good advice from Crimson.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Mushkin also has Mac-specific RAM.

but +1 to Crucial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)
OWC all the way. They sell the exact same RAM modules that Apple sells, only much cheaper. They'll also buy your old RAM if you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.