MBP SSD upgrade...???

Reaction score
I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro and I use my macbook pro like CRAZY.

TASKS: Video editing, DJing, Music production, web browsing, email, playing music and day-to-day document handling.

Its FREAKIN SLOW!!! I want to upgrade the internal hard drive to an SSD.

Unfortunately...I was reading an article and it said that SSD upgrades were only good for 2009 and later macbookpros. Does this mean I can NEVER upgrade my macbook pro with an SSD?

Other questions:
1) If an upgrade is possible...which SSD would be good/compatible for my mbp?
2) Do I get SATAI, II or III compatible SSD?
3) Can I take out the optical drive and put the hard drive in its place...in essence having both an SSD and a internal hard drive running at once in RAID 0 for optimum performance?

Try to answer all my questions as I really want to upgrade. This laptop is too slow and I feel like tossing it at the wall!!

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Unfortunately...I was reading an article and it said that SSD upgrades were only good for 2009 and later macbookpros. Does this mean I can NEVER upgrade my macbook pro with an SSD?

I'm not sure where this info is coming from...since even Apple laptops before the MacBooks/MacBook Pros (Powerbook G4's for example) can have an SSD installed.

Other questions:
1) If an upgrade is possible...which SSD would be good/compatible for my mbp?

Check these out:

OWC Solid State Drives For Mac Desktops & Laptops

3) Can I take out the optical drive and put the hard drive in its place...in essence having both an SSD and a internal hard drive running at once...

Yes...replacing your HD with an SSD...and installing the HD into the optical drive bay is definitely possible. Check these out for possible solutions:

Mount 2.5

HTH,:)

- Nick

p.s. BTW...your MacBook Pro's "slowness" may be due to a lot of other things than the internal HD. Installing an SSD will only speedup the:

- launching of applications
- opening of files
- saving of files

Once the applications and files are opened...other than incremental file saves...the "slowness" is not due to the internal HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And it uses SATA but most SSD's if SATA 11 will be backwards compatible. Early 2008 models can handle 6GB of memory. May well be worth while increasing memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.