A question about $$ (Cache)

Reaction score
Okay, I feel like a complete idiot asking this, but it's driving me nuts...

I am temporarily in the US and have brought my Macbook Air with me. Here's the problem: even though I clear my cache/history each time I close Firefox, the search results upon re-opening my browser are all Canadian, which is really annoying when I'm trying to find a location of a US restaurant, or store hours, etc.. (it keeps bringing up the Canadian websites in the search results if the business is also located in Canada).

I'm using Google, but like I said, my browser is set to clear cache/history each time I close Firefox, and when I reopen and start a new search, Google still "thinks" I'm in Canada.

Where else could this "location" information be stored? Is it stored somewhere on my mac, or in Google? I am not logged into Gmail or any other account that would store the info.

Thanks in advance for your help...:Confused:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's stored in browser cookies. So, you just need to clear your cookies to reset Google's location info.

OP
E
Reaction score
My browser is set to clear cache/history each time I close Firefox, and when I reopen and start a new search, Google still "thinks" I'm in Canada.

Even if I manually clear the cookies/cache, it still does it... confused...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My browser is set to clear cache/history each time I close Firefox, and when I reopen and start a new search, Google still "thinks" I'm in Canada.

Even if I manually clear the cookies/cache, it still does it... confused...

Are you sure you're clearing the cookies? They are different from the cache. Cache is files stored locally to avoid reloading all elements of a given webpage. Cookies are little files that track parts of your identity. Just because you cleared one, doesn't mean you've cleared the other.

The only other thought I have on this is that if you're tethering to a cell phone registered through a Canadian provider (i.e. using it as your Internet connection), it may be pulling your location by means of your carrier's IP that is localized to Canada.

OP
E
Reaction score
My connection is through a local provider, but now I know why it's happening... it's because my search engine is set to 'google.ca' instead of 'google.com.'

I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Thanks so much for chiming in so quickly - I appreciate it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.