PowerBook really sloooow lately... 15in Ti 1ghz, 512mb RAM, 60gb HD, etc.

S

StealthMode

Well, when I first got it I could run multiple apps at the same time with little to no lag, ran super! Well, this past year or so it seems like it is slow as heck... I upgraded to Tiger and it seemed good, not any slower, maybe faster in some things, but lately, it has gotten really bad.
So I figured it was my full HD, so I formatted and reinstalled Tiger, got an external drive and I store all my files on that, and just apps and the OS on my main drive, and she is still really slow... ie. adjusting the volume has about a 30sec delay sometimes, even with nothing else running....more than one app is almost impossible other than Safari and iChat etc.

Anyway, my point is, she is a lot slower than she used to be, even after a fresh clean install, permissions repaired, all the usual maintenance done, etc... Changing the wallpaper easily takes a good minute... Any ideas? This is getting rediculous, especially since it is my only computer...so when it comes to editing anything, I might as well forget about it...

OP
D

desantim

I would check to see if your ram is all working correctly and showing up in system profiler, also, I would run a diagnostic util or something.. Onyx is a good one. You can do some of it yourself, repair permissions, etc etc. No way that system, freshly formatted should be anywhere near that slow.

I doubt it is a hardware problem, but you never know. If you have the old restore discs, you might boot the hardware test cd, and see if that shows any problems that aren't apparent.

OP
S

StealthMode

Well, About This Mac says 512mb, so it's at least working well enough to show up. Going to try out Onyx next.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.