need help with router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook, 2.0GHz, 1gbRam
I just bought my first laptop and Mac. I also bought a wireless router so my wife can use the computer around the house. I had to disable all security settings to get it to work. I live in a subdivision, but I have 5 open acres behind my house. Should I even worry about the security settings? If so, how do I turn them on. The router is a netgear 11g/a capable router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
The land at my house is about that size as well, and I don't really worry about the security settings. Five acres is a lot of land for that signal to cover. I'm no expert on router range but I'm assuming the signal would die out long before it reached the end of your yard. But if your next door neighbors are within a couple hundred feet of your router, maybe you should set a password.

Reaction score
BEWARE OF PEOPLE HIDING BEHIND TREE'S WITH LAPTOPS :D

Apart from that you should be fine, however you should only need to set up the passwords once and then it's done. :eek:

After all unprotected networks are a dream to the evil minded. :spook: :bushman: :yinyang: :tusks:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.