• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

TiVo

T

todd51

So my friend needs to get rid of his TiVo he bought last September. He is moving and can only get Dish where his home is. He is willing to sell it and another USB HDD to me for about $400-450 along with the lifetime subscription. I already told him that I can't afford it right now, but I know I can come up with the money.

I don't know much about TiVo and if it's worth it or not. Anyone got any advice? I know it's not damaged or anything because he takes really good care of his electronics. He said I would be able to use it since I use regular cable with an HD converter box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Tivo was great, it just way to pricey as of late. There is a whole load of programs for PC and Macs that will created a communication between the PC and the Tivo box, such as Toast and such. I would like a tivo again but the price is the biggest turn off for me, but I would suggest it to a friend.

OP
T

todd51

Tivo was great, it just way to pricey as of late. There is a whole load of programs for PC and Macs that will created a communication between the PC and the Tivo box, such as Toast and such. I would like a tivo again but the price is the biggest turn off for me, but I would suggest it to a friend.

Yea, I don't think I'll go for it. If I get it, I won't have anywhere in my entertainment center to put it. So that means I'll end up buying a new TV stand. I'm also afraid that once I have a DVR, I won't be able to live without it. Better just put that money straight into savings for someday when my car dies. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Is Tivo really that necessary anymore nowadays with most shows being legally rebroadcasted on the internet? I use that pretty much like my Tivo.

Tivo was great in its time but there are a lot of option nowadays. You can also buy something like an Elgato device so that your computer can be used as a DVR without the constant monthly fees. That's the way I would go if you really need to record something as opposed to just rewatching like you can do on the internet. Recording is necessary for some things such as live sports so for some people it's the cheaper choice to Tivo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
All I know is that my wife and I are very grateful for TiVo. Not everything is available online -- especially local programming.

Get the lifetime membership, too -- it's expensive at first, but it's a one-time fee and it pays for itself fairly quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tivo is still nice for the ease and convenience and I understand why it's still around. I was only bringing up the point that it's not completely necessary if you know about the other options.

For example, I have an old Windows computer in my house that I have installed a TV tuner card on it. I'm able to record everything I can't get on the internet and it has software to do automatic scheduled recording. I can then hook up my computer to the TV if I want. I usually watch on my computer but a person can hook up an old computer to their TV and have it used as a dedicated DVR. I bought the TV tuner card for something like $70 and I can now use it for free as long as it doesn't break down so I too get a lifetime membership. ;)

Tivo still does have it's place and people do still like it. I'm just saying there are more options nowadays and Tivo isn't necessary if you want an alternative.

OP
T

todd51

You guys all make pretty good points. I'm wondering if I could use my MBP with an Elgato device to use as my personal DVR. I have an Ubuntu nettop as my primary machine nowadays and thought about getting a docking stand for my MBP. Then hook the MBP up to my HDTV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering if I could use my MBP with an Elgato device to use as my personal DVR.
That should work. If you have a cable box then you will need to get the Elgato EyeTV HD. After that get the necessary cables to hook up your MBP to your TV and you are set. :)

You also don't need to use a dedicated computer for a DVR. If a person's main computer is close enough to their TV then they can use the main computer as a DVR or just watch the shows on their computers like I do. I have a pretty decent sized external computer monitor so it works for me.

For the times I want to watch in the living room I just quickly hook up my laptop to my TV. One of the reasons why I like laptops. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.