Macs & Camcorders for Webinars

Reaction score
Hi, All

I'm really stuck, and hope someone can help! I want to run a live webinar on an iMac using a camcorder (so I can pan in and out). I've tried 3 camcorders so far and none of them will feed into the Mac, though with all of them I can download any video taken with the camera. Does anyone have any advice as to which camera I should buy so I can feed into the Mac? Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Does your Mac have firewire? I have done what you want with a firewire-connected Canon wide format (not HD). Yes, it was a 5 yr old camera and not my current Mac mini.
Firewire uses a kernel driver, so it's more continuous - for video.
So, I recommend any firewire camera - not USB.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks very much! I think the secret seems to be that the camera you used was so much older. We've been told that we need a box between the camera and the Mac to translate the HD (?) info from the camera into something the Mac understands, even with a Firewire. I can't believe it's so complicated when Macs are usually so amazing! We're going to test this box thing tomorrow, at which point I will make sure I remember what it is called (Black something or other!) and will post the answer here. Thanks again for your help.
Claire

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.