Connecting iPad mini to iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
I am trying to connect these two. I get a message telling me they are paired but not connected. I can't find out where to go from here. Any help appreciated.
PS a search on syncing them did not help.

M

MacInWin

How are you trying to connect them? What version iMac? What version OSX? What version IOS? What application is presenting the message, and is it on the iMac or iPad, or both? What's the version of THAT software? We need a few clues to be able to assist.

C

chas_m

Sounds like he's trying to use Bluetooth to connect them ... for what purpose I can't quite imagine, since Wi-Fi was invented ...

M

MacInWin

Yeah, but with so little information, it's impossible to sort out. Not even sure what the goal of connecting them is. He mentioned searching for syncing, but didn't say what he was trying to do.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
After reading Jake's reply I went to Apple and it still took the help line 45 minutes to get the Mac & pad to swap information so it was not quite so simple as the guy in the shop said it would be, even now they swap info via the cloud not directly with each other. All I wanted to do was sync my pad and Mac so they swapped calendar, contacts etc and to put some of my music onto the pad. As to blue tooth & wifi I don't see any difference as they are both supposed to allow an exchange of information between units. To a non-techy like me it's like the difference between a Ford and an Audi, they both get you between places what's under the hood makes no difference as long as they work.

M

MacInWin

No, it's more like a Ford and a Cessna. There is a difference! Yes, you get to a destination, but in two entirely different ways. Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know why they decided to use iCloud? My MBP and iPad sync through WiFi perfectly. And it took about 1 minute to set up.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Hi jake! probably because the iCloud was already set up on my Mac and the advisor took the easy route, although I had never used it before. I had no problem with setting up bluetooth, both recognised each other saying.they were paired but I got a message on the iPad that they could not connect. Again I had no problems with getting the IPad onto my home wifi but still Don't know how to get them to speak to each other. My Mac is running osx 10.7.5 and the iPad iOS 7.0.2. the Mac is two years old, 2.5ghz with an i5 Intel and the iPad is a mini only two weeks old.mm528 LL/a.

M

MacInWin

But BT is NOT the normal way of syncing. Normally, that's done by WiFi. BT can't access iCloud AFAIK. What version of iTunes are you running? I'm pretty sure you need 11.1 to sync with IOS 7.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
I have 11.1 installed. I get a message from both machines that they are paired (BT) but the iPad says that it is not connected. I still cannot work out how to get them to talk to each other over my wireless network.

M

MacInWin

Ok, let's forget BT, that's not the way to go. You said you could get the iPad on your home wireless network, so that's good. In order to sync the iPhone to your MBP, you have to set that up on the iPad under Settings/General/iTunes WiFi Sync. Open that option and it should allow you set it up. NOTE: You can only sync using WiFi if the iPad is on the power supply, not on its battery. That is a trip-up some folks miss reading.

Now to set up the MPB, use the USB cable and connect the iPad. Open iTunes and wait for the two to recognize each other. Once they do, the iPad will appear under the Devices section of the left panel. Click on that once and then on the Summary tab that appears on the right panel. Scroll down if you need to to get to Options and make sure "Sync with this iPad over Wi-Fi" is checked. Now iTunes is authorized to sync over Wi-Fi if the iPad initiates it.

With those done, when the iPad is on external power, you initiate Wi-Fi sync by going through Settings/General/iTunes Wi-Fi-Sync and tapping "Sync Now."

EDIT: change iPHone to iPad where fingers got ahead of brain.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Bingo.
Thanks Jake; all it needed was for someone (you) to talk me through it step by step and now they talk to each other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.