Time Machine

Reaction score
Can anyone here see themselves using Time Machine for their full backup solution instead of the ones used now (SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner etc)

I don't know if Time Machine creates a bootable backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If it does what I need, I may. But without bootable backups, its kinda pointless, and I probably wouldn't use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You should watch the guided tour of Leopard posted on the main Apple page. The part demonstrating Time Machine is pretty amazing. It's kind of like Windows System Restore, but a big leap forward Windows should have done a long time ago. I really could have used Time Machine recently when I found some picture I had are now gone. There's no way to recover them with those other programs, but with Time Machine, I could have had them back in seconds. My backup doesn't have to be bootable as long as I have my information I can retrieve somehow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Who needs bootable backups? You get restore CDs with your Mac...all you need is a backup of your files.

Yes, it may be a hassle to reinstall everything if your hard disk crashes...but that's not a very common occurrence. Having up-to-date backups of your files is a much greater problem for most people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
i hope there is a way to completely disable time machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
i hope there is a way to completely disable time machine

It's just an application you can choose to use or not use. If you plug in an external disk, you'll be asked if you want to use it with Time Machine, but after that you probably won't be asked again.

M

MacHeadCase

I might use Time Machine only for some type of files like some homework I'd be doing or graphic arts stuff I work on but I wouldn't count on it for a full backup strategy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'll be getting a NAS soon, so if possible, I might get all of the Macs on my network to use that for Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.