I have Time Machine over AirPort Extreme working in an awkward way...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz, 4GB, 320GB
I know other people have been successful in doing this, but I did it with a couple of weird things happening.
Here's my situation. I have a MacBook Pro and and MacBook wirelessly connected to a AirPort Extreme. I initially set up both computers to back up to a single 500 GB external hard drive while directly connected to the computer. Then, I started reading on the net about how to put the hard drive on the AEBS. So, without modifying any code or "touching" any drives, I just plugged the drive into the AEBS. Then I fired up the MacBook Pro and mounted the drive on the desktop. I right clicked on the Time Machine icon on the dock and clicked "Back Up Now". And, without changing anything it just worked and started backing up like regular, with a couple of hitches. I attached some screen shots of the regular windows used with Time Machine. Notice the weird icons. Plus, when I started the backup it mounted an additional 600 GB disk called "Backup of Kenny's Computer". Witch is weird because the hard drive is only 500 GB.

But I does work. I backed up, deleted a couple of things to test, and it retrieved them. So, despite the minor weird things, it worked.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 5.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White Macbook 2.0Ghz
Hi I have noticed that mine does the same thing I don't know why either..

I have a 1TB drive connected to my Airport Extreme and I backed up via Time Machine and it always mounts this weird drive "Backup of (computers Name) Computer".....

When I have it connected directly to my macbook it just creates a folder called backup.xxxx(something). However when I have it connected to airport extreme it creates a virtual disk on there and then it mounts it as a drive..

Having said all that it still works perfectly it's just very odd.. I wonder if the apple time capsule does the same thing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Hi I have noticed that mine does the same thing I don't know why either..

I have a 1TB drive connected to my Airport Extreme and I backed up via Time Machine and it always mounts this weird drive "Backup of (computers Name) Computer".....

When I have it connected directly to my macbook it just creates a folder called backup.xxxx(something). However when I have it connected to airport extreme it creates a virtual disk on there and then it mounts it as a drive..

Having said all that it still works perfectly it's just very odd.. I wonder if the apple time capsule does the same thing...[/QUOTE

I have the TC and it does the same thing when it's backing up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White Macbook 2.0Ghz
Well there you go it's all normal then

Thanks for the info ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.5, iPod Touch, Airport Extreme, Airport Express (X3)
Hi there - I have a similar issue, but I cannot get mine to do a backup. As KenBrinkman stated, when I first backed up my MacBook Pro I connected my external hard drive to my computer. However, I'd like to now have my external backup drive connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station and backup wirelessly. I can get Time Machine to find the external drive and it shows up as "shared" under my "Macintosh HD", however I cannot get it to show up in the "Devices" section, add it to my desktop, nor backup. Apple has been no support because they want you to by their new "Time Capsule", but I'd rather just stick with what I have. Therefore, I am now trying this route to see if anyone can help. I'm a new Mac user so please be as clear as you can. Thanks in advance!

Oh, I'm running Mac OS X - Version 10.5.5 and my Airport is running version 7.3.2 although when I go to "about Airport Utility" it says 5.3.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
So you're basically saying that you were able to use Time Machine wirelessly? I was able to do this when I first initiated my MBP w/ APE and Time Machine but then it just randomly stopped and I have not been able to reproduce it since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.