Where did I go wrong - iPhone Hotmail contacts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I got my first iPhone for a few days now and set up mail to access my Hotmail account. When I came to set up my contacts I noticed that all my Hotmail contacts were there under Hotmail Group (all All contacts group obviously), but I could not copy/move these to the icloud group to merge them with my contacts from my iMac address book. Contacts in both my Hotmail account and Address Book were therefore duplicated on the iPhone - some having full info others just the Hotmail email info.

After a few searches via Google it seemed that the only way forward was to deleted the contacts in the Hotmail group and re-key what I needed afresh into my Address Book. So I deleted all my Hotmail contacts on the iPhone, updated my Address Book as I went and all was well... until I used Hotmail again on my iMac. My Hotmail contacts were all there but all info other than their name had been deleted. For many this was my only record of their email addresses or any contact info come that that.

So... How come my contacts on Hotmail itself were deleted - surely these are held on the Hotmail servers? How can I access Hotmail on my iPhone without duplicating contacts on it? Will the same problems occur when I set up my iPhone to access my Yahoo, Gmail and Zen internet email accounts? How can I recover my Hotmail contacts (on my iMac)?

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Being unable to edit the original title to better elict a response, I'm bumping this - with apologies to all those who have already read it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.