Setting up a home network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GT130 1Tb
Hi All, we have an iMac and a Whitebook (soon to be 2) at home and want to be able to share the printer that is attached to the iMac

When I looked in Sys Prefs/Internet & Network/Network on the iMac, I was expecting/hoping to find the Whitebook visible on the home network - wrong - this is just the network setup for the iMac.

So looked in Sharing instead - see all the check boxes etc and where I can choose which folders are shared, with whom, and with what rights, but how do I look on the network and select the Whitebook?

And how does the Whitebook get to look at the iMac to be able to select the printer??

Or have I got the MAC networking thing all wrong (all based on Windoze experience)

Is there a tutorial or something like that to teach yourself MAC home networks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
rholmes01;

I don't think you'll be able to set up sharing on the MacBook from the iMac. You will have to go into the Sharing settings on the MacBook and select which folders you want to share just like you did on the iMac.

Unfortunately, I have not set up a home network with more than one Mac (just a Mac and two PCs) so I can't be much more specific than that. I'm sure someone else here can help you out though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
For starters, are you wired or wireless?

File-sharing needs to be turned on on each machine to make them visible on the network.

For printer sharing, turn on Bonjour on all machines, tell the iMac to share the printer (it's under the printers system pref). Once the machines can see each other Bonjour should be able to find the printer on the iMac from the whitebook (again under the Printers system pref)

OP
rholmes01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GT130 1Tb
For printer sharing, turn on Bonjour on all machines.......

where do I do this? Or is Bonjour automatically turned on? I can't find anywhere that says 'click here to turn on Bonjour'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.