Decisions Decisions Decisions

Reaction score
Hopefully I am posting this is the right place.

My imacG5 is on its last legs but I don't want to get a new one until they have some better processors (i5 - i7 as the default spec) and then I will get a 27" one. So in the interim I wanted to get a fairly cheap laptop which I could do a bit of work on (web design etc)/browse the internet in an attempt to prolong the life of my imac until it can be replaced.

So i am looking on the internet and I come across a Macbook Black 2.4ghz 4gb ram etc etc for £550 ($830). It is a year and a half old, and has a year and a halfs applecare left on it. Am i wrong to be tempted by this? I have to admit I was always taken by the black (I have never seen one up close to use though). Are they anything special?

Should I wait until after the new MacBook pros 13" are updated (i won't get in to this as there is already quite a big thread) and then jump on the inevitable firesale to get a second hand one. I am just not sure if I am being swayed by the price for the black (I have seen pros go for not loads more) as I think in most if not all ways the New Macbook pros are better than the Black Macbook (screen, keyboard, trackpad, weight, size etc etc).

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble but would appreciate peoples opinions

C

chas_m

I seem to be missing something. You want a 27" iMac with an i5 or i7 as the "default."

Looking at Apple's web page for the iMac, I see two models of iMac with the i5 or i7 as the "default spec."

As for the Black MacBooks, as an owner of one naturally I quite like it, but yes the MacBook Pros are in all significant ways better.

OP
C
Reaction score
gutting triumph

On the uk store the only one with i5/i7 options is the most expensive one, £1634 ($2500) which I can't afford. Sorry i should have said that.

Is that black macbook worth it?

C

chas_m

As much as I love my BlackBook I would tell you to look at the refurb Unibody MacBooks or MacBook Pros, they are obviously more powerful machines.

Its hard for me to judge from here whether £550 for a Blackbook is a good deal or not. It's certainly a very fine computer and does have Applecare so if you want it and feel its a good price, then go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you buy used, make sure you get the AppleCare package and contents, as well as the OSX installation disc(s).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.