Canon Printer/ Scanner Difficulties

Reaction score
I have just bought a Canon MP810 to go along with my recently purchased 24" imac.
Setup seemed to go well and I am using it with a Belkin bluetooth usb. I have now progressed onto trying to scan some 35mm negatives and here is where I have run into some problems.
When the film is placed and selections made via the mac under the "MP Navigator" I give the scan order and it returns a message; Cannot communicate with scanner, scanner may be turned off or cable may be disconnected. Driver will be turned off. There is also a number which is given with the notification: 155.0.0.

Anybody have any idea as i have been trying for a couple of days to solve it.

Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
A few ideas:

1. At Canon's site, they don't appear to have a driver for this printer that supports Leopard; it only goes up to OS X 10.04. Did you contact them to see if this particular printer is Leopard compatible? They do have update drivers for Leopard on line for their other printers, such as my i9900, but not for the mp810.

2. Did you make sure to install the software before attaching the USB cable? I've had devices fail to function when I ignored this simple instruction. Try disconnecting and reinstalling the software.

3. Did you try to connect directly from the iMac to the printer. Sometimes the USB hub can cause a device to work improperly.

OP
K
Reaction score
HI, thanks for the quick response.

I am still using Tiger (haven't decided if I'm ready to upgrade to Leopard yet) so that shouldnt present any problems.

With the connection of the usb cable prior to installing software, the machine didn't originally provide one and so I just used the Belkin bluetooth from the onset.???? Do you think that was a no no?!?!

I have reinstalled the software since I first posted but still no joy.

Any other ideas.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
You may want to contact Canon support. They are usually quite good.

I did notice that Canon sells their own Bluetooth transmitter for this printer. Not sure that it would make any difference, since Bluetooth is supposed to be universally compatible, but before you spend money on the Canon version, you should probably call them.

If you also have a printer cable, you might want to try that as well to rule-out other possible causes.

Reaction score
I have the same printer with an iMac. You will not be able to scan on either Tiger or Leopard using Bluetooth. Only the printing function is offered over the Bluetooth connection and will work on both 10.4 and 10.5 (and isn't your fastest means of printing). With the USB cable in 10.4 you can scan and print with ease. In 10.5 everything works fine except for the scanner will not work in any application that is not TWAIN compatible. Here is the Leopard compatibility link to the manufacturers website http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OSCompatibilitySupportAct&keycode=macdr&fcategoryid=238&modelid=13799

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses.

I have since reinstalled the drivers and started using USB cable and sofar all systems are go.

Though now I try and only print using the bluetooth but it doesn't seem to respond???
Any ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
There isnt any way to do wireless scanning. Printing is possible but it has to be directly hooked up to scan. I have tried everything. The manufacturer software, VueScan. I have searched forums and havent found a way.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There isnt any way to do wireless scanning. Printing is possible but it has to be directly hooked up to scan. I have tried everything. The manufacturer software, VueScan. I have searched forums and havent found a way.

...and this is actually true of all platforms, including Windows. Whereas with printing you have network protocols geared toward sending printing traffic over a network, there is no standard protocol for a networked scanner.

The closest thing you can come to this would be to try Keyspan's USB server. This is not a print server, it actually "tricks" your system into thinking the device is literally plugged in via a wired USB connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
"Failed to open a driver" error

Hi, I have a Canon Pixma MP130 multifunction and I'm having a problem scanning with ScanGear Starter 1.0E. I'm using OS X Leopard 10.5. Anybody have a fix for this error message: "Failed to open a driver"? I've tried downloading this driver, but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Thanks for any advice given.

Eddieche

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.