13" MBP vs. 15" MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 250GB Hard drive, 8GB iPod Touch
Hi. I've only used PCs but I need a laptop for college next year and I decided to make the switch to Mac. I'm stuck between the 13" Macbook Pro and the 15" Macbook Pro. I need some help and have a couple questions

1. Which is more valuable: the 13" portability or larger screen on the 15"?
2. Is the extra 2" worth $200?
3. Any other pieces of advice is appreciated

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I like my 13 inch aluminum macbook. I find the screen size to be just right. I may go 15 inch when I update in a year or two, but for now I can't imagine anything else. I thought the 13 would be way too small, but it's really perfect.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Hi. I've only used PCs but I need a laptop for college next year and I decided to make the switch to Mac. I'm stuck between the 13" Macbook Pro and the 15" Macbook Pro. I need some help and have a couple questions

1. Which is more valuable: the 13" portability or larger screen on the 15"?
2. Is the extra 2" worth $200?
3. Any other pieces of advice is appreciated

Thanks

go to the shop and take a look yourself. only you can decide if you want a more portable 13'' or the 15''.
you could aways get the 13'' then buy a monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
THe 13 was the right size for me. The 15 just seems too big if you need portability. That and I use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse. If I really needed a bigger display I would just opt for a larger stand alone display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 250 GB HDD
I think the 15 is perfect for portability, but your post is kind of silly. All of your questions are ones that need to be answered by you and not anyone else. Go to the apple store and determine which size you like more, and if 15" is worth an extra $200 or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I have the 15" inch one but the 13" inch one is also very good. What matters is portability, since you're going to college, and 13" can hook you up pretty well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G
I agree with the other posters that you are the only one who can decide which is better for you based on size and portability. However, you should consider more than just the physical dimensions. I don't know what you're looking for in a notebook, but I bought my 15" MBP (at the time the smallest MBP) for its features, not its size.

The 15" is available in configurations which have more to offer in the graphics department. This may not be a concern, but if you're going off to college and are at all into gaming, this may be the only computer you have regular access to so you might appreciate having the ability to use it as a gaming machine. That said, you can still do a fair amount of gaming with the integrated graphics card in the 13", so it really depends on how much graphics-intensive stuff you intend to do.

When I got my MBP, I found myself wanting to get the much lighter 13" MB (I'm an undergraduate student too), but I've now gotten used to it and am very happy. Sometimes, even 15" seems a bit small, but this may be due to the fact that I spend a good amount of time writing code. Given that (and the other features mentioned above), I am glad I didn't get the 13".

So, be sure to consider more than just the size and weight. Think about what you intend to do with your computer, and also think about longevity. I got the best configuration of the MBP available at the time (barring crazy processor and HDD upgrades) so that I'd hopefully have a computer that would last me through grad school (got my MBP in Junior year). For me, this was the deciding factor. Getting any Mac is a significant investment, and to me it seemed more prudent to spend a bit more up front in order to get something that I won't be dying to replace in a year.

This post got a little lengthy, but I spent a lot of time debating on the same issue as yours so I felt compelled to share my thoughts.

Best of luck to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.