Error Code Help

Reaction score
So when ever I try to download from my house's server, or from my computer to my 500gig external (WD) it stops downloading at random and gives me Error Code -36. This (according to the internet) means an I/O error. But I cant find anything that tells me what an I/O error means. I'm not able to even back up the data on my computer (library etc.) because at random, something will have an error code -36 and the whole transfer will be canceled.:Angry:

I'm worried because my computer is completely not backed up due to the fact this started happening last time I tried to back things up and now it wont transfer things and what I had got over written and is incomplete...

Help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
It sounds like a problem with your HDD. Usually you get this error is some sectors are damaged in your drive. The best bet would be to do a surface scan to check the bad blocks. Unfortunately, Disk Utility is not good enough for this. You may have to try it with TechTool Pro or DiskWorrior.

Reaction score
I had a similar error last night when putting all my music onto my laptop after doing a clean install. I really think it was the drive more than anything but all the data was eventually copied. Finder on average would crap out moving anymore than a gig and a half of information at a time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.