How to save an icon I am designing in Photoshop, What file extension do I save as?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Ti PB G4 867MHz 1GB RAM 10.4.6
I am designing a few new OSX icons, but have no clue as to what type of file I save them as.

I tried to open a generic icon file in PS:CS, but it didn't work.

I am finished with the icon, and have edited it down to 128x128, it just needs to be saved, and used...

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The ultimate format is .icns, but I don't know if Photoshop will generate it. However, it doesn't have to, and you don't have to size your image down either. Create your icon as you like it, at any size whatsoever. Save it in any standard format (PNG, XPM, JPG, etc.). Get yourself the excellent freeware Iconverter program (go to www.versiontracker.com to get it) and use it to convert the result to .icns format. This is what I have done. I have used this to import a large number of open source KDE icons to Mac.

OP
GT5.0
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much, that works perfect. I selected the .psd file, and then clicked use file contents, and it works perfect!

I will post up some screen shots, and I will host them if you want to see them on your desktop also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
lets see what you made
-chris

OP
GT5.0
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here you go.

Icons.jpg

Reaction score
Hey they're good, make some more so we can use them lol.

OP
GT5.0
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem, what are a few you would like to see?

Colors, variations, etc...

I'm game

K

kev4e15

Can't you save as a .png and it should still work without any converter. I haven't tried it but that's how i thought it could be done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.