Can I install new video card on iMac 2008

Reaction score
I currently have a 2.8 Ghz intel core 2 duo iMac (2008) with the upgraded nvidia geforce 8800 GT 512mb and 5gb of ram however I am wanting to play a game that requires FINAL FANTASY XIV thus I am thinking i need to upgrade my video card. What is the best way to do this.... I heard that since my iMac was upgraded it has a connector to the logic board. I was thinking that if a long cable exists that i could run out the bottom of iMac and plug into a new graphics card which is compatible with newer imac or mac pro.... is this possible? if so what cards and cables do i need?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you see is what you got. Sorry, but your iMac's graphic card can not be upgraded. It's soldered (actually surface mounted) to the logic board. Any kind of alteration to the logic board will likely destroy it and of course void your warranty.

You will need to buy a new iMac for the latest graphic card, or, if you have the money, a Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is upgradeable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.