macpro need to extend wireless range

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro about 5 yrs old, works great but I need to be able to use it out in my metal sided shop 40 yds from the cisco linksys E2000. Is there some antenna devise I could mount on the outside of shop pointing to the router, then hook up my Mac to it inside the shop? Also I have the original OS X should I upgrade, are the benefits worth it ? I am here to learn so thanks for your input.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a macbook pro about 5 yrs old, works great but I need to be able to use it out in my metal sided shop 40 yds from the cisco linksys E2000. Is there some antenna devise I could mount on the outside of shop pointing to the router, then hook up my Mac to it inside the shop? Also I have the original OS X should I upgrade, are the benefits worth it ? I am here to learn so thanks for your input.
There have been several threads about this (and similar subjects) in the not too distant past. A quick forum search should dredge up some reading material. You might want to do that first.
We can also point you to Apple site for some articles on extending your wireless network. But, honestly, with the situation you describe why not just run a hardwire ethernet connection to your shop building?

EDIT: Here's a link to an article that may help

Extending the range of your wireless network
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=AirPortUtility/5.1/en/ap2045.html

Here's another link specific to extending a Linksys network
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060609053254368

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks razormac i checked all those articles and others and did not see a solution to my needs. I was hoping maybe some company made some type of antenna and hook-up for the Mac to save me a bunch of digging and wire running. Trying the kiss method first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.