Photo Help!

RDF

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to Mac.
I now have an issue with my photos...When I open iPhoto, I can see the thumbnail of all my pics, but when I double click to open them, a grey '!' exclamation point within a grey window pops up instead...these photos (and vids), all opened normally at one time...

I think it happened after I deleted a bunch of stuff from 'finder', which I thought was a 'mirror' image of recently viewed files-kinda like a PC would show in its menu...I've been "putting back" items from my trash but have thousands to go :(...and it doesn't seam to fix the issue anyways...

Not sure what to do...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sounds like you've deleted/part deleted the iPhoto library!

If it's still the trash you can just put it back.

If you've been using time machine or another form of back up I'd use that. If not just keeping moving those items back from the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Sounds to me as if you had iPhoto set to NOT import your photos. There is a choice in preferences to have iPhoto import them (creating a duplicate) or not. If the latter and you have now deleted them then they are gone.

If putting back from Trash why not highlight all in Trash and put back in one go?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.