Trying to connect Bluetooth Printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Help! Just unpacked my new imac and I'm trying to add Canon MP460 printer with bluetooth. I plugged in a Kensington bluetooth usb adpater 2.0 into the computers usb port. I've already loaded the CD but...
The utility set up WILL NOT show me any printers to select. Nada! Mac doesn't have many options, just need to somehow get this printer to come up in the the utilities. The salesperson just says to plug it in and follow instructions. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
is this printer a bluetooth printer? i didn't think it was.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Good question...The salesman said it was bluetooth and sold me the usb adapter. But one never knows. I'll check with the printers tech support tomorrow. I don't see a reference to bluetooth in the specs though. But it does have a page about performing Bluetooth communication for printing photos from a bluetooth mobile phone using the bluetooth unit BU-20 and to refer to the bluetooth user's guide (which didn't come with). Those instructions say to plug the bluetooth unit into the direct print port (the "store" showed me to use the usb port on the "computer." This is very confusing to say the least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
Ok question could you plug the bluetooth usb adapter into the printer's usb? Is that possible that it could work that way? I don't know but that would be nice wouldn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
Answered My Own Question!

I think I answered my own question. Hp is making them now here's a pic from there website. I'm going to compusa to get a bluetooth adapter and try it.

hp375_bluetooth.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've been looking for answers and this is the first thread I've found that looked remotely relevant.

Carol: I believe the answer to your question is that while your Canon printer is bluetooth capable, you must purchase the optional Canon BU-20 bluetooth adapter for the printer and then a bluetooth adapter for your computer. What I'm not sure about is whether the scanning functionality will be available through bluetooth.

I have a Canon PIXMA MP500 multifunction printer. Since I moved into my new house and my office is configured differently, I've been wanting to relocate my printer to a different area of the same room, but there's no way to run a USB cable to it. I'm thinking about springing for both an adapter for my desktop PC and the one for the printer. I'll let you know how (or if) it works out.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back when I got my iMac and new printer, I just didn't know anything about how to connect the BT.

However, as usual, it was very easy. I was trying to plug the BT adaptor into the computer when it should have been plugged into my printer! When I did that, it just worked. Of course, I had to find my printer from a list, etc. But after that it has worked flawlessly ever since. I totally love wireless! :D

I don't think you'll have any problems.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Back when I got my iMac and new printer, I just didn't know anything about how to connect the BT.

However, as usual, it was very easy. I was trying to plug the BT adaptor into the computer when it should have been plugged into my printer! When I did that, it just worked. Of course, I had to find my printer from a list, etc. But after that it has worked flawlessly ever since. I totally love wireless! :D

I don't think you'll have any problems.

Thanks Carol for your feedback - are you also able to use the scanning features over bluetooth? That's been the main sticking point for me, I've read a number of comments from people that couldn't - although nothing specific to the MP500 (my printer). I would imagine yours is very similar to mine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.