Error Code -43

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I am trying to copy a file from the iMac to my Win2K server, and I keep getting error code -43. I looked it up, and this is basically a file not found or folder not found error. I can copy it between drives on my iMac, and I can make duplicates, and I can move it basically anywhere but where I want it. Which is on my Win2K server so I can back it up to my tape drive.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks...

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Just dragging and dropping from one of my iMac drives to a Win2K drive, via the Apple Windows Sharing or whatever it is called.

G

gatorparrots

That's SAMBA [SMB] -- Apple dubs it 'Windows File Sharing'. You are copying from HFS+ (which supports resource forks) to NTFS (most likely), or FAT32, which does not support resource forks. I would expect it to copy your files that have resource forks as two separate files -- the original file name and the second as ._filename. You may have an odd character in the file name that is unsupported in NTFS or FAT32. Check that first.
Windows Platforms use two different file systems -- the Protected-Mode File Allocation Table (FAT) file system and the New Technology File System (NTFS). These file systems have similar naming conventions, and differ mainly in which characters are illegal. The naming conventions listedÊ Ê Ê Ê Ê below apply to both FAT and NTFS unless specifically noted.

File and directory names may be up to 255 characters long on FAT file systems and 256 characters on NTFS. Full path names may be up to 260Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê characters long.
Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê 
The backslash (\) is the path separator.
Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê 
File and directory names on the Protected-Mode FAT file system may consist of letters, digits, spaces, and these characters:
Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê 
Ê Ê Ê Ê  $%'-_@~`!{}()#&+,;=[].
Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê 
Note that periods are allowed in file and directory names, as long as they are accompanied by other characters. For example, .text is perfectlyÊ Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê legal.
Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê 
On NTFS, file and directory names may consist of any character except the following characters:
Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê 
Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê  "/\*?<>|:
Ê Ê Ê Ê Ê 
Although file and directory names are not case-sensitive, their case is preserved.
Failing that, you may have to MacBinary the files before transferring them, especially if they are intended for tape backup from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.