Eternal HD erased

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
The same thing happened to me, except i lost about 60GBs of data on a brand new drive. I bought a WD My Book Studio Edition 500 GB drive, and within 2 days, the entire thing went corrupt on me. I sent it back, and got another, thre exact same thing happened, within 2 days. So i though it might be WD, so i paid more for a Lacie. Same thing happened. What turned out, was that my MBP's firewire 800 port was blowing out the hard drive's port, and it destroyed the drive as well as the data. Then later i got the laptop replaced for a new one. That computer had a lot of problems with it to begin with. Now i have a new one with a newer LAcie, havenm't had any problems in the length of time i have had it.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks for the reply.

haha..i just noticed i typed Eternal HD for my title... i mean external :D

This hard drive was connected to my keyboard via USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
NateL,

Have you checked Disk Utility to see how much space is used on the external? If it's full capacity, you have indeed lost it all, but if it has about 200MB left on it, the files are still there. If there are still files occupying space, they should be recoverable - sounds like the drive is still OK if you can add files.

I'll look for a recovery option for you...

Noel

EDIT: I searched through Google and there are several programs you can download free to see if it can find your files, but before you can recover them, you'd have to buy the program :eek: But at least you could go through the different options and try them out, see if your files are really there. Here's the page I found: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=free+recover+mac+hard+drive+files&btnG=Search

Good luck, Nate

OP
N
Reaction score
:Grimmace:

298g hard drive
298g available

I just don't understand how these files can just disappear. What's even stranger is if we push command+I and pull up the info, it says the date last modified was December 31st, 1969....wha??!!! :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
:Grimmace:

298g hard drive
298g available

I just don't understand how these files can just disappear. What's even stranger is if we push command+I and pull up the info, it says the date last modified was December 31st, 1969....wha??!!! :Shouting:

Looks to me like the files are gone! 298GB is about what an empty 320GB hard drive has available. Is it possible you may have emptied some trash that was also on the external? I've heard that could happen...

The 1969 date could be patent date for the hard drive technology...

In any case, I'm sorry you lost it all. What backup program were you using? I hope you didn't lose anything on you internal had drive that you needed to recover... If you want to try again, try SuperDuper for backup. It gives you a bootable backup, which is nice to have. And you can use it free f you don't need scheduling. Otherwise all the bells and whistles is $27.95.

BTW, I'm using a 320GB WD Passport external (with SuperDuper) and it hasn't given me any problems to date. But I only make a backup every 2-3 days since I'm not doing a lot of work on my Mac yet. If you decide to change, you might try one f those - if WD hasn't soured you. I also use Time machine the same way with the original hard drive that came with my Macbook (I upgraded my internal). I bought a Bytecc USB external enclosure and that combo works well also. So 2 different backups might help you in the future. Just a thought!

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.