HP DeskJet F380 won't work with Airport Express

V

vawolf

Hello,

I just purchased a HP DeskJet F380 AIO printer to use with my PBook G4 12" (PowerPC running Tiger with all the latest updates). It works fine when connected directly to the PBook through USB (after installing all the HP software), but when I try to use it with Airport Express it won't work. The printer setup utility recognizes the printer as a Bonjour printer but then the specific model won't show up in the pull-down menu. I've tried picking other HP printer models, but when I try to print the printer won't do anything at all. However, in the printer's utility (the one that opens during a print job) there is a list of printing jobs that appear as if they were completed, even though nothing printed.

I asked HP support and they basically threw up their hands and gave no assistance. Here's what they said:

The F380 is not an HP supported networkable printer. HP supports this printer "Full Functionality" USB direct connect from the printer to the
MAC. Apple supports "Print Only" functionality from the printer to the
airport. If you want to run it thru the airport, you will need to connect Apple support.

They said to contact Apple, but I thought I'd get an answer here faster :)

How can I make this printer work with Airport? If it won't work at all I think I'm gonna return it. How can I find out which printers will work with Airport Express for sure?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.