Mewbie in need of help

Reaction score
newbie in need of help

You guys will probably hate me by the time I'm done asking questions, but here goes..
I just got a g4 power mac from a friend. I am thinking the os has been removed because when I turn it on I just get an icon of a folder with the mac smiley face in it and nothing else. I am proficient on a PC but have never so much as touched a mac. I am anxious to start working with it, but have no idea where to start. I am thinking about going to get the osx tiger upgrade and a processor upgrade to start out, but I might need some help just getting it running. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
When you boot it, try holding down the option key, or command key, and see if it gives you any choices for booting.

If not, ift may just require an install of the OS. Did you get any discs with the powerbook?

Brian

OP
R
Reaction score
No software of any kind. and it's a g4 desktop. It was a surplus item a friend of mine had, and he doesn't even know anything about them. I'll try that, and plan to go to dallas this weekend to get the tiger os. It's a pretty decent machine that I would like to see up and running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.