Canon ip4200 printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I got the Canon Ip4200 printer for free back when I bought my Ibook. It had been a really great and reliable printer until this week when it started messing up. It will pull a piece of paper about 2 inches down and then stop and the "printer is not responding" dialog appears. Is there anyone else that has had this issue with a Canon printer. I print all my school papers on it and its a paint to have to go the library to print off all my papers there (I loose the font face when I open it on the windows computers anyways).

Any suggestions? Or should I just go buy a new printer? If I should buy a new printer which do you suggest?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I got the Canon Ip4200 printer for free back when I bought my Ibook. It had been a really great and reliable printer until this week when it started messing up. It will pull a piece of paper about 2 inches down and then stop and the "printer is not responding" dialog appears. Is there anyone else that has had this issue with a Canon printer. I print all my school papers on it and its a paint to have to go the library to print off all my papers there (I loose the font face when I open it on the windows computers anyways).

Any suggestions? Or should I just go buy a new printer? If I should buy a new printer which do you suggest?

From a reliability standpoint, inkjet printers are engineered so poorly as to render them mostly disposable. When you start having issues, it's usually more cost effective to just buy a new printer. It sounds like either a problem with one of the rollers or a separator pad that has worn down and is causing the pages to misfeed.

I know you're probably soured to Canon now, but I do like their printers very much. The primary reason is that most of the Canons use ink tanks instead of cartridges. There's usually a separate ink tank for each color, so that you only have to replace one color at a time. Since the tanks run about $10/piece, it can be a lot more cost-effective.

So, even if you don't go with a Canon, I would recommend that you take a close look at the cartridges/tanks of any model you are considering. Weigh the price of consumables much higher than the quality/speed ratings of the printer as you're shopping.

OP
milessthomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Funny that you mention the cartridges...I replaced them the day before it stopped working. Hopefully I can find something that uses the same.

From a reliability standpoint, inkjet printers are engineered so poorly as to render them mostly disposable. When you start having issues, it's usually more cost effective to just buy a new printer. It sounds like either a problem with one of the rollers or a separator pad that has worn down and is causing the pages to misfeed.

I know you're probably soured to Canon now, but I do like their printers very much. The primary reason is that most of the Canons use ink tanks instead of cartridges. There's usually a separate ink tank for each color, so that you only have to replace one color at a time. Since the tanks run about $10/piece, it can be a lot more cost-effective.

So, even if you don't go with a Canon, I would recommend that you take a close look at the cartridges/tanks of any model you are considering. Weigh the price of consumables much higher than the quality/speed ratings of the printer as you're shopping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.