PowerBook G4 compatablity with iLife 08

Reaction score
I am a new mac owner, testing the mac world to see if I like it. Primarily video stuff for home/personal use.

Just bought a used PowerBook G4, 1.67ghz, 1Gb ram. Can I run iLife 08? The specs say...

"iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster). "

Should I go to Ilife 04 or 06?

All I want to do right now is work on simple video stuff like take a bunch or raw footage and put it togeher with music, etc. to make a decent video to watch. Nothing really fancy.

Also, with this PowerBook, should I upgrade to Leopard?
Thanks,
TC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
I own a Powerbook of similar specs and am running iMovie 08 just fine. The argument of iMovie HD 6 vs iMovie 7 (the one in iLife '08) is for a different thread, so I'll spare those details.

Anyhow, iMovie 7 will not install without some intervention on your part. You have to make a small change to the installer script telling it to ignore your hardware (easy to do), then the actual application has to be hacked so it will ignore the minimum system check (easy to let someone else do it for you).

Here's the instructions, and the "hacked" version of iMovie.

http://www.teksanity.com/iMovie/iMovie_08_on_G4/Install.html

In general it runs just fine (though a bit slow). "Scrubbing" is a cool feature. It is also nice to work with MP4 files rather than have iMovie convert everything to DV files (my laptop drive just isn't that big).

iMovie 7 did get me to upgrade my machine to 1.5GB of ram, and when I did that things ran much better.

Edit: I should also add that I think the changes to iPhoto in iLife '08 are worth the price alone. I really like the "Event" and the thumbnail previews that it uses.

Scott

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Celica.

Good information...and with that information I'll try and decide if I should go for iLife 08 or an older version.

Thanks again,
TC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.