Apple remote control

Reaction score
(solved) Apple remote control

Hey there,

I have a MacBook (with 10.6) and I got a remote control that belongs to the iMac of a friend of mine. For me remote control is this :

apple-remote.jpg

So I tried using it on my laptop, pressing all buttons and stuff, but I guess it's configured to work with the other computer only...
So my question is : is there a way to, I don't know, reset or configure again the remote control to make it work with my MacBook ?
I didn't find anything on the net, there are only things about the software or functionality to control your mac from another mac.

Thanks in advance :)

Paradox

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you sure that the MacBook that you're trying to use the remote with has an IR transceiver?

Because for example...the "Late 2009" & "Mid-2010" MacBooks DO NOT have an IR transceiver...and thus cannot use the remote.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I bought mine in January, so I guess it belongs to the late 2009 ones... Besides, it's not even listed in the tech specs of the latest MacBook, so I guess you're right, there ain't any port lol
Thanks for your quick answer, I'll try to find a bluetooth one in Apple Store :)
Greetings from Paris,
Paradox

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought mine in January, so I guess it belongs to the late 2009 ones... Besides, it's not even listed in the tech specs of the latest MacBook, so I guess you're right, there ain't any port lol
Thanks for your quick answer, I'll try to find a bluetooth one in Apple Store :)
Greetings from Paris,
Paradox

Yes...it sounds like you have one of the newer MacBook's that don't have an IR port. I found this out a couple weeks ago...and was kind of surprised to see that Apple eliminated the IR port. This is probably one way Apple gets folks to buy a more expensive MacBook Pro.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.