How do I stop my Mac from detecting this site as malware?

Reaction score
Every time I visit this sports forum- Scout.com: Kansas State Forums List It says that it contains malware, but I know it doesn't, i've been going to the site for a long time. It has the option to ignore the warning which I click, but every time a click on another thread on the site, the message pops up again. How do I get this message to go away? Does this happen to anyone else when they visit this site?

Picture-

2ezh6y9.png

OP
A
Reaction score
Once I click continue, I can still read everything so nothing has been affected. People are still posting so it's not happening to everyone. Is there a way to turn this "detector" off?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I get the same warning. I've gotten that warning on other legitimate sites before and it's usually because the site may have been hacked in the past and is still on the "bad site" list even though it's OK now.

OP
A
Reaction score
Is there a way to stop that message from popping up? Like turning off the whatever that's detecting it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The webmaster or owner of the site will need to follow Google's instructions here in order to have their site taken off their black list.

There's really nothing you can do about it, your browser is working exactly as designed. Frankly, I'm surprised the site owner hasn't dealt with it yet, as pretty much all modern browsers will exhibit the same behavior.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which browser are you currently using? That feature is usually found under the "Privacy" settings in most browsers. For example: To turn off warnings in Chrome you would open the Privacy settings from preferences and remove the check from the box that says "Enable phishing and Malware Protection".

Now, having said that... I do not recommend turning that off. It's best to live with a false warning from a single site than maybe running into a problem with a site that really may not be legitimate.

OP
A
Reaction score
Nvm guys I figured it out, I went to the security setting and unchecked "Warn when visiting a fraudulent website". Thanks for the help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would strongly recommend against turning that off, especially given the frequency of sites being hacked or setup as honeypots. Just because you use a Mac doesn't make you impervious to malware or other malicious hacks. I would instead alert the webmaster of the site, include the link I sent you and deal with the extra click for the time being. Removing that bit of protection over such a minor inconvenience is foolhardy at best.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Turning that off is VERY a bad thing. There are a lot of very bad and dangerous sites out there and without that warning you will just enter. I would leave it on if I were you.

OP
A
Reaction score
I am going to contact him, but without turning it off, I can't even post on the site.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting. I just tried latest Release of Chrome & Opera, Chrome Canary, and latest Firefox and non popped up a warning and I made sure in Chrome that option was checked!

Strange.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. As stated above I also get the warning and I'm using the latest version of Chrome.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder why I get no warning. Latest version. Just downloaded in fact.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because malware knows better than to mess with you Dennis! ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because malware knows better than to mess with you Dennis! ;D

I so wish that were true but even with a Windows system I rarely get any nasties while all my friends and customers get every nasty thing on the web on their Windows systems! So maybe you are right! :D

I do have that option checked in the new Chrome. I wonder why it's not working? Bugs me. I will look into it for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.