In need of new HD for clamshell ibook!!!

C

christophermac

hey,
I am on a blueberry ibook with a small 3 gb hard drive. I know that it takes a lot of work to install a new one and Apple won't do it for me. Did anybody ever try to install a new hard drive on a tangerine or blueberry clamshell ibook? How much would that run (hard drive + installation).

Thanks for any help on this topic!

-christophermac

OP
L

lzasitko

replacing hd in clamshell

christophermac said:
hey,
I am on a blueberry ibook with a small 3 gb hard drive. I know that it takes a lot of work to install a new one and Apple won't do it for me. Did anybody ever try to install a new hard drive on a tangerine or blueberry clamshell ibook? How much would that run (hard drive + installation).

Thanks for any help on this topic!

-christophermac

The following site, http://caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html has a page or two on how to swap hard drives.
Powerbookmedics.com has a manual on how to dis-assemble the clamshell for sale, once paid you could opt to download it. I have it and it is well worth the $10 that I paid for it. They also do repairs so might be able to install it for you.

One company that will for sure is http://www.mcetech.com/products.html. Scroll way down to the very bootom of the page and there is a small line that says iBook harddrive upgrade service, click on it and it will go to anther page that shows a clamshell, click on it and it will open a page with prices. Not sure how up to date this is but wise to check. I gather that they install it and will transfer all your existing data onto the new drive etc.

Larry Zasitko

OP
C

christophermac

lzasitko said:
The following site, http://caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html has a page or two on how to swap hard drives.
Powerbookmedics.com has a manual on how to dis-assemble the clamshell for sale, once paid you could opt to download it. I have it and it is well worth the $10 that I paid for it. They also do repairs so might be able to install it for you.

One company that will for sure is http://www.mcetech.com/products.html. Scroll way down to the very bootom of the page and there is a small line that says iBook harddrive upgrade service, click on it and it will go to anther page that shows a clamshell, click on it and it will open a page with prices. Not sure how up to date this is but wise to check. I gather that they install it and will transfer all your existing data onto the new drive etc.

Larry Zasitko
ok, thanks... I'll have to go to those websites. I wasn't aware that there was support for the older clamshell ibooks, since I really don't know anybody in person who owns one besides me, and apple kind of frowns at them (I guess since it is older and they want me to buy a new computer lol)

OP
L

lzasitko

service

christophermac said:
ok, thanks... I'll have to go to those websites. I wasn't aware that there was support for the older clamshell ibooks, since I really don't know anybody in person who owns one besides me, and apple kind of frowns at them (I guess since it is older and they want me to buy a new computer lol)

Actually I found the dealers in Calgary Alberta Canada to be really good. In particulare Westworld on Center Street. I go there every time I get to Calgary (2-4 times a year) and I know most of them by name. Anyways, I bought my Clamshell from a reletive and it has OSX 10.2.8 installed and runiing with a 128meg card. I had read about putting in a 512 and talked to Westworld. They had not done one but were willing to do it for me. Installed the 512 rebooted and then they took it to the back and did some more tests and said it was fine, so mine is now 576 meg of ram. Found it made a big difference. But the main thing is their service has been very good for anything I have needed. If I do need anything done I ship it overnight and they send it back the same way.

Larry Zasitko

OP
I

ii0oo0ooii

i put in a hard drive... it wasnt as bad as people said. (Physically installing it that is :p) It took some time, but I got it in and back together. Now getting it to work, or knowing even if it works with my ibook is a different story :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.